Talk

Advanced search

Pocket money amount?

(13 Posts)
mrssapphirebright Fri 19-May-17 11:13:26

I'm sure this has been done to death, but what is the going rate these days?

AlwaysHungryAlwaysTired Fri 19-May-17 13:37:21

It is whatever you can afford and whatever you deem appropriate for what you think your child needs to spend money on. There will always be other children who get more or less than your child, or who say they do. Work out what you can afford and what you feel you would like your child to be able to spend money on and set your amount. You can always review it in the future if needs or circumstances change.

mummabearfoyrbabybears Fri 19-May-17 14:07:22

We worked out what our children needed for the bus to school, their lunch and then a little on top of that. That way they're not asking for money all the time and they have to budget for things and remember to get cash out on a weekend for school Monday. It's worked really well. They get £200 each. The younger two do t get anything yet but third DC will as he starts senior school August and will need bus and lunch money then a little extra too.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Fri 19-May-17 14:08:31

£200 each to last how long??

mummabearfoyrbabybears Fri 19-May-17 14:14:04

Sorry! A month blush. Vital info missing there really! Not a day . . .

anon1987 Fri 19-May-17 17:00:05

Mums wow your kids are very lucky! I got a packed lunch which I had to make myself and £0 pocket money.
It worked though because as soon as I left school I got a full time job and then paid my mum £250 a month rent.

Lottielottie42 Fri 19-May-17 17:32:46

Hmmm variable 20 a week if she's done a few basic chores and behaves herself but that rarely/ever happens. She spends money at a ridiculous rate so however much I gave her would never be enough!

Lottielottie42 Fri 19-May-17 17:34:00

Plus I will give her extra if she does chores such as whole house Hoover, polish or gardening again rarely happens , in fact twice she is so lazy!

user1494842325 Fri 19-May-17 20:24:14

I've started giving my two 14 &16 £20 a week & feel I'm better off my daughter thinks a lot more carefully before buying that going out top for the weekend that never gets worn again!!! She saves up for special things & is much more thrifty with what she buys. I'm not sure where the 16 year olds go.... Kebabs & pizzas I think🙈

Perdyboo Fri 19-May-17 22:30:24

40 quid a month here with phone, lunch money and sports subs paid so if DS wants to go out cinema etc he needs to budget. We negotiate shared costs of clothes over and above necessities. He gets the odd extra tenner for additional chores / babysitting.

sheepskinshrug Sat 20-May-17 09:25:50

£20 a month - it's just for hot chocs, sweets. They still manage to save.

Chasingsquirrels Sat 20-May-17 09:33:11

There was another thread on this yesterday, just in case you want even more answers here.
It's something that varies massively.

Peanutbuttercheese Sat 20-May-17 09:54:45

DS has a paper round, he actually sub contracts part of it to a friend. He saves part of this and uses his birthday and Christmas money as his cash bank. I know he has over a thousand saved. We still buy all his clothes, he uses messenger on his iPhone so has no phone charges.

If he goes out with friends which is rare as they tend to hang out at each other's house then we sub him. We pay his sports fees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now