Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice for dd about ending a friendship

(4 Posts)
WaterworksFireworks Wed 26-Apr-17 07:44:08

Dd has been friends with a girl since primary school. They are now in year 9 at different secondary schools.

Since the end of primary school their friendship has drifted. Dd says they don't have anything in common any more, she find the friend annoying, friend makes jokes about dd's physical appearance which dd is sick of now and dd doesn't want to spend time with her. Now in the normal state of play the friendship would drift apart and that would be the end of that. However the friend will not let it go. In the holidays (I presume when she is bored) she asks to meet up and if dd ignores texts then her mum starts texting me. Dd doesn't want to be mean and say 'I don't want to be friends any more' she doesn't want to fall out with her but just doesn't want to hang out with her either.

I feel a bit sorry for the girl. Her parents divorced messily a few years ago but I also feel for dd. Dd has never 'ended' a friendship before, she's not fickle about friendships and so I don't think this is her being nasty, it's just she feels the friendship has reached a natural end and the friend can't see it. Usually you would say well just ignore her texts and she'll get the message but she doesn't!

The girl's mum is a bit odd and slightly aggressive (not that she would be aggressive to me or dd) and I'm not sure how she would take a suggestion that dd doesn't want to be friends any more. She's also not great understanding social niceties for lack of a better way of putting it. By now, I would be saying to my dd to maybe try and find someone else to hang out with as (my dd) doesn't seem to want to do stuff together but she doesn't seem to see it.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

BigSandyBalls2015 Wed 26-Apr-17 08:59:45

Very strange that the mum gets involved texting you with kids this age. It's tricky but I think I'd ignore her messages as well and hope she gets the hint.

WaterworksFireworks Wed 26-Apr-17 12:08:36

Thanks! I have been doing that. Hopefully they will both get the message in the end. It's just so awkward.

CrazedZombie Wed 26-Apr-17 12:50:45

I think that you have to be a little rude and tell the mum that dd is busy if she calls up demanding your dd's time.

Not unreasonable to hasten the fizzling out of this relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now