Talk

Advanced search

Affordable car for new driver

(19 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Mon 24-Apr-17 10:21:42

Hi,

DS (17) is learning to drive. We would all benefit from a second car, so thought this was a good time to get one.

Any tips on which ones are cheaper to insure? Just did a check on an 07 plate fiesta and the insurance (with DH as main driver!) was more than the car cost. Going 3rd party fire and theft doesn't seem to save much either.

We only want to spend £2-3000 max on the car. Just need a runaround really. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Mon 24-Apr-17 10:22:57

Having a black box fitted took about £1800 off my ds insurance!!

strugglingstepdad Mon 24-Apr-17 10:28:46

Usually a very small engined car, so up to a 1.2

So fiesta, Clio, panda etc....

And as pp said, have a black box fitted.

SweetieBaby Mon 24-Apr-17 15:49:17

We've just bought a peugeot 107 for our 17 year old daughter. I'm on the insurance as a named driver and black box fitted. Insurance cost £850

Ocies Mon 24-Apr-17 15:51:46

Look st multi car policies - we have one which covers three cars and four drivers and was much the cheapest way to insure. We have a ford ka which is great for a runaround.

Lennielala Mon 24-Apr-17 15:52:21

Clio!

FataliePorkman Mon 24-Apr-17 15:56:14

Peugeot 107 is no road tax also. Something under even 1 litre is your best bet OP- Citreon C1 Peugeot 107 or Toyota Aygo. Horrible to drive and feels like your going to be blown over with a sudden gust of wind but cheap insurance, cheap to run and no car tax.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 24-Apr-17 15:57:29

The young drivers that I know are in Corsa's polo's or yaris's. My nephew has a black box in his that cuts the cost significantly.

Stopyourhavering Mon 24-Apr-17 22:25:36

Got a Corsa 1.2 for dd, - very reliable and easy to maintain
get black box fitted .....try ingenie car insurance .....they were most reasonable for dd when she first passed...after 1 yr she's now on my admiral multi car insurance (almost halved the insurance!)

iklboo Mon 24-Apr-17 22:29:13

DH is a driving instructor. He recommends looking at Marmalade Young Drivers

ofudginghell Mon 24-Apr-17 22:32:12

Ds just passed his test today. smile
He's already had a clip 1.2 for a year.
I've just spent the last God knows how many hours online and on the phone

Boys premiums are still much higher than girls it seems.
Our highest was £7500 confusedconfusedconfusedconfused

Our lowest was £850 fully comp with a box fitted.

Orangebird69 Mon 24-Apr-17 22:38:38

Obviously there may be budgets constraints but please try and get the safest car your budget can afford.

ofudginghell Mon 24-Apr-17 23:22:12

You can get a safe and well looked after car for a third of what the op is looking at spending.
We got an absolute gem of a car for ds after months of looking.
One lady owner from new,12 year old car. No rust or advisories,full service and mot history and in immaculate condition for just over £1k.
Perfect first car and low on insurance.
It was moted in December and flew through again.
The garage it went to commented on how clean and in excellent condition it was.
It pays to take your time looking around

Leatherboundanddown Mon 24-Apr-17 23:35:28

Peugeot 107 with a telematics box

talkingtoclarry Mon 24-Apr-17 23:42:02

My first was a Ka, lovely little car though they seem thin on the ground these days, think they've all succumbed to the dreaded rust. Maybe a Picanto? I'm a huge fan of Kia's.

TheFairyCaravan Mon 24-Apr-17 23:50:12

DS2 had a Clio with a black box. He was with Ingenie with both DH and I as named drivers and it was £900. He's 20 now and has a Punto, that was £500 two weeks ago with DH as a named driver.

When our kids wanted cars we spent days, if not weeks on Autotrader then putting the registration numbers of the cars they fancied in to comparison sites. Some cars you think are going to be cheaper actually aren't and some you think are going to be a fortune aren't.

BackforGood Mon 24-Apr-17 23:54:40

Just did a check on an 07 plate fiesta and the insurance (with DH as main driver!) was more than the car cost

No, the cost of insurance is about calculated risk to the insurance company about the likelihood of them having to pa out (potentially millions) in claims against the driver. The cost of replacing the car is a minimal factor.

My dd (18) has just bought her first car - 3rd party quotes were higher than for fully comp hmm

It really is just worth setting up all the details on one of the comparison sites and randomly putting different possible cars in. It is incredible the difference.

BackforGood Mon 24-Apr-17 23:57:12

We got some good advice here although looking to spend a lot less than you, posters kindly gave a good link.

SlothMama Mon 24-Apr-17 23:57:37

Please go fully comp with their insurance, my parents are so glad they did after my brother wrote my Mum's car off within a month of passing.
With new drivers accidents can happen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now