Talk

Advanced search

13 Reasons why

(14 Posts)
Whyarealltheusernamestaken Mon 17-Apr-17 05:26:42

Have you watched it this? Would you encourage your children too view it despite it being 18 rating?

Would you also relate it to the adult as well as teenage world that you always need a friend?

PhoenixJasmine Mon 17-Apr-17 06:33:50

I have watched the whole season, and think it is very well done and thought provoking, and appreciate that it didn't shy away from graphic scenes of both rape and suicide.

I think viewing by under 18s, or any young person really, would be best done on a case-by-case basis, with frank and open discussion with a supportive adult. Disclaimer: not a parent, but am in a mentorship position to 15-18 year olds and would discuss these kind of issues with them.

I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion about always needing a friend, tbh. I feel the issues raised are more about inherent sexism, healthy/unhealthy relationships, managing mental/emotional health, listening to others etc. It's a good starting point for discussions rather than just taking at face value Hannah's reasoning for her actions.

JustDanceAddict Mon 17-Apr-17 08:31:40

My DD (nearly 15) has started to watch and bought the book without my prior knowledge! I wasn't aware it was an 18 but she has discussed the plot with me. She's quite mature for her age but I will also check it out and try & discuss.?

Whyarealltheusernamestaken Tue 18-Apr-17 01:42:24

I agree it's complex, and yes discussion is needed Just. It's complex Jasmine, maybe we will read what we need, but I agree with what you said. It's a strong story and sure to be emotive.

WhatHaveIFound Tue 18-Apr-17 13:39:11

My DD (15yo) says that all her friends are watching it but we don't have Netflix and i hadn't realisied it was 18 rated.

She asked me to get the book from the library instead but we're currently 7th on the waiting list. Having read some reviews, i'm not sure about letting her read it as she's a bit fragile at the moment.

As for whether we all need a friend, well I feel we do and i think DD benefits from having a few very close friends.

multivac Tue 18-Apr-17 13:40:40

I believe it's rated 15.

My 12-year-olds want to watch it; they do watch some 15 rated things, but the subject matter of this one makes it a definite 'no' for me.

Floofborksnootandboop Tue 18-Apr-17 14:33:38

We're all watching it here, I dont think it does have an 18 rating. The target age range is 14-18 so that would be counterproductive surely?

I think it's something you have decide on based on your own children and alway be open to talk to about anything they need to.

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 18-Apr-17 16:00:20

I watched it with my 17 year old son. Perhaps some 15 year olds might cope with the content but I found some episodes quite difficult to watch. I have 12 year old twins and I will not be giving them access to it (they have Netflix access but with parental controls).

The subject matter provides a lot of potential discussion material that would be useful to work on with adolescents, but the way certain scenes were shown makes it unsuitable viewing for younger teenagers (in my opinion).

I have not read the book; perhaps that is suitable for a wider range of ages?

ArabellaRockerfella Wed 19-Apr-17 16:35:14

My dd's 16 + 19 have watched it and found it very difficult viewing. In fact my 19yr old is quite fragile emotionally and had to stop watching it, she found it too upsetting!
I would watch with caution with teens, maybe watch yourself first and then see if your child would be able to cope with the issues portrayed.

Isadora2007 Wed 19-Apr-17 16:37:17

Link?

Whyarealltheusernamestaken Thu 20-Apr-17 03:50:11

Netflix showed 18 rating in UK, it does contain scenes of sexual assault so is difficult to watch. It does show how teen bullying can escalate though and how one rumour can lead to more.

aginghippy Thu 20-Apr-17 10:02:09

The TV show is aimed at an older age group than the book.

My dd read the book when she was about 12 and loved it. It is a young adult title meant for teenagers.

She is 18 now and has watched the whole series. She says there are many things about the series, such as the bad language, that the programme makers have added or changed to make it more 'appealing' to an older audience.

MrsFionaCharming Sat 22-Apr-17 17:26:55

I read that when making the show, they consulted with suicide prevention charities, then completely ignored all advice given, and that many people are finding it contains suicidal idealization and is triggering those who already suffer from suicidal thoughts. I'd be very careful about allowing a young person to watch it.

Titsywoo Sat 22-Apr-17 17:32:50

Hmm I just finished watching this. I am not massively sensitive but the last episode was very difficult to watch. I was sobbing and had to pause it for a while to calm down. It is quite graphic and upsetting. The rape scenes are also upsetting. I certainly would feel uncomfortable about a younger teen watching it but not sure about 16 plus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now