Talk

Advanced search

Period - Please help!

(6 Posts)
annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:38:09

Hi All,

Today, I heard about a 13yr old girl who ended up in hospital because she used socks instead of pads when on her period - she couldn't afford sanitary products. This is not acceptable in the UK, but it's happening and it's happening in 2017.

Please can you sign this petition to eradicate period poverty from schools. Sanitary provision is NOT a luxury, and periods are not a choice.

It's just totally, totally wrong!!! Girls should have to choose between their education and their period.

This petition to provide free sanitary products to girls from low income families was started by a 17yr old girl.

www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-free-sanitary-products-for-girls-on-free-school-meals-freeperiods

We should support her will to help other schoolgirls! It only takes 15 seconds to sign, I know because I just did it.

Please share so we can change this appalling situation. As a mum of three teenagers, I feel really moved to help. I hope you do too.

Avioleta Tue 11-Apr-17 16:42:00

Signed.

Although it is worth pointing out that girls from all social classes can have issues obtaining adequate sanitary protection. My mum was adamant that one packet of towels was all I needed per period and wouldn't buy me more than that. I frequently ran out and resorted to using wadded up loo roll or cotton wool on numerous occasions.

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:45:13

please share. I agree - all girls do need help, but I think this is something the government can actually deliver. They won't provide it for all schoolgirls.
I researched this issue before posting and the government have started talking about providing sanitary products from girls from low income families.
The 17 yr old girl who started this is lobbying the government so they actually do it.

thanks for signing. Please share so we can make sure these girls are helped. I'm sharing with everyone i know.

itsacatastrophe Tue 11-Apr-17 17:16:05

I find this such a difficult topic as yes no girl should be unable to afford sanitary products but I don't see giving away tampons and pads as a long term solution. I think it would be so much better to provide all girls with a mooncup or equivalent. Meluna are only £11 and can last years. If young girls were provided with one, for free, then they wouldn't have to worry about choosing between food and tampons.
I'd happily support any scheme that promoted them.

annhar79 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:29:21

Just looked at the petition and I don't think there's any reference to any particular type of protection, just that a solution is needed.
I guess that if the government were to give any type of sanitary provision for free, the cost will be far lower, given that they'd be able to negotiate with sanitary product manufacturers.
Just a thought.

SunsetsAndChampers Tue 11-Apr-17 23:34:31

Signed and shared petition

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now