Talk

Advanced search

GCSE coursework and revision

(3 Posts)
Justalittlebitfurther Mon 10-Apr-17 19:19:21

My DD is normally lovely, she is quiet and usually mature for her age. I had her when I was relatively young so I don't have any friends IRL with children the same age.

My problem is she doesn't seem to be doing anything for her upcoming GCSEs, despite all my attempts to encourage (and recently discipline her). I'm at a loss as to how to help her.

She has an idea of what she wants to do in life but she is struggling with procrastinating over her Art coursework. Of course this is a key subject in her long term ambitions. She has three weeks until she hands in her final coursework (worth 40%) and she hasn't completed one page, she has only started four.

I don't know what to do for the best, she would be mortified if I contact school after the break but at this rate she is going to get a much lower grade than she is predicted. I am just not sure I can face supporting her to do the A-level either as she turns into a aggressive sulky monster who doesn't do any work without someone standing over her. Although obviously if I do nothing she's unlikely to get the grade anyway.

I am so sad that she could end up being devastated about her results...

GiraffeorOcelot Fri 14-Apr-17 16:50:36

Hi, there are some good GCSE support threads over on the secondary education boards that may be helpful.

lljkk Sat 15-Apr-17 11:27:49

Is she in yr11?
imho, if she's nice to live with (no drugs, no unsuitable boys, no wildness) & basically has some aspirations then you already have 2/3 nice boxes going. I wouldn't rock the boat by trying to insist she gets stressed out over academics. Maybe you could ask "What can I do to help?" to find ways to make work more attractive.

Also discuss Plan B if she doesn't get required grades, in a non-judgemental non-emotional way, but realistically what are the other options, what will she do if the grades aren't good enough. So that she is very aware WHY she might want to put the work in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now