Talk

Advanced search

Teenage daughter mobile .. i don't know what to do

(9 Posts)
TheBabster Mon 10-Apr-17 16:17:21

My 13 yr old spends alot of time on her phone talking to her best friend - (her friend doesn't live near by - its a 15 min drive so they can't see much of each other outside school) it feels like she is on it all the time and she spent a lot of time on her phone whilst we were on holiday. Wasn't interested in anything (swimming etc) even when i took it off her she wasn't interested. But did say she was enjoying herself & said she enjoyed her holiday.
Is this normal?
Its causing a bit of friction between my partner and me.. I don't know what to do. He feels she should be out and doing stuff despite her friend not living nearby
She seems happy and is chatty at dinner etc
Is getting homework done
She is quite shy and not very confident out of her comfort zone..
Thank you in advance

user1471558436 Mon 10-Apr-17 16:20:38

Can she have mobile free times? So 8pm to 8am and 11am to 4pm

TheBabster Mon 10-Apr-17 16:26:24

I should have said i commute into London 3 days a week so not at home until late those days which makes screen time tricky to enforce if i am not here.
I will try this evening though - i am home today!
Is it normal behaviour though
its tricky - i think our generation are new to this aspect of parenting - for my parents it was never an issue!

Megatherium Mon 10-Apr-17 16:31:42

A 15 minute drive doesn't seem a long way - can they not visit each other by bus or bike? I suspect if they saw more of each other and could go out to the shops, clubs, swimming or whatever together, they might not feel the need to spend so much time on the phone.

Sarahb5 Mon 10-Apr-17 16:33:55

I think it's the generation & age. I swear my Ds is surgically attached to his, but on the plus side he has been out with friends on his bike etc, all holiday & he does keep in touch x

JustDanceAddict Mon 10-Apr-17 16:41:05

15 mins drive is nothing!

NerrSnerr Mon 10-Apr-17 16:59:08

15 minute drive? All my school friends were scattered around rural villages. We got lifts, busses or cycled to see each other. Can you just encourage her to see her friend after school or at weekends instead?

saltandvinegarcrisps1 Mon 10-Apr-17 17:09:04

Its the norm now and it will only get worse. I wish I had been stricter with mine when they were younger but she wasn't that bothered then. She seemed to become addicted literally overnight.

TheBabster Mon 10-Apr-17 17:31:27

Thanks all
Telling me all what i really already knew but needed to be told :-)
I needed reassurance that it is sort of normal behaviour & not just my child
I need to encourage her to meet up / get out more
try and enforce "screen time" limits
& just keep the lines of communication open
Lord above I would rather deal with the cock wombles that I work with rather than try to get a child off their phone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now