Talk

Advanced search

Part-time/holiday job suggestions for teen with ASD

(8 Posts)
Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 07-Apr-17 15:25:37

Ds is 17 and has high-functioning ASD and dyspraxia - he has zero social skills and apart from going to school does nothing apart from play computer games.

I'm starting to get worried about the lack of anything he has to put on his CV or personal statement (always assuming he gets good enough grades for university which is by no means guaranteed).

Can anyone suggest things their ASD teens have done (which don't require talking to people)?

Branleuse Fri 07-Apr-17 15:33:38

I think it depends more on your own childs practical transferable skills. I cant think of a job my ASD 16 year old would be good at unfortunately sad , but lots and lots of young people with ASD are more practical than him. It would depend on his strengths and weaknesses rather than the fact he has ASD, even though im sure that has some bearing

redannie118 Fri 07-Apr-17 15:39:32

I would try some volunteer work. My18 year old ds has ASD and spent 4 months working for the British Heart Foundation in one of their high street shops. He worked in the back of shop sorting and carrying boxes and really enjoyed it.Hes now working full time in a admin post as a apprenticeship and loves it smile

toomuchtvandsocialmedia Fri 07-Apr-17 15:47:31

A neighbour's son who has high functioning ASD does odd jobs in the holidays - he walks my dogs occasionally if I go out for the day and does things like water flowers and mow lawns for other neighbours when they're away. I make all the arrangements through his mum and, as I am not here, he doesn't have to talk to me. He has been very reliable so is building up a small clientele.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 08-Apr-17 17:23:44

Hmm ..I can't see ds having enough 'get up and go' to mow lawns etc and he doesn't even walk our own dog let alone other people's hmm

His only interest is computer games but I'm struggling to see how he can turn that into making any cash as he's not sociable enough or good enough to go into tournaments

CatsDogsandDC Sat 08-Apr-17 17:49:43

I second volunteering. My ASD DS worked in an Oxfam bookshop for a year and thoroughly enjoyed sorting and pricing books behind the scenes. They were lovely to him and I think he gained a lot from it.

bowbear Sat 08-Apr-17 20:01:06

My dd has high functioning ASD and also struggles with communciation/social skills. She has been volunteering at a local National Trust property for about a year now and really enjoys it. She's the youngest there by about 40 years and I think that takes the pressure off her, everyone is really kind and caring to her smile. She's just got her first paid p/t job and is working as a guide in a local stately home, she didn't want to work in their cafe with all the other youngsters as I think she feels under more pressure with people her own age.

Volunteering is such a good way to improve confidence and gain work experience. I hope your son finds something that he enjoys.

LynetteScavo Sat 08-Apr-17 20:17:41

My DS volunteers as a gardener. The paid gardener tells him what to do, but apart from that he doesn't have to speak to anyone.

He wouldn't dream of so much as pulling up a weed from our garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now