Talk

Advanced search

Dd struggling to insert tampons.

(49 Posts)
snozzlemaid Wed 05-Apr-17 18:55:40

Can't believe I've just handed my tube of ky jelly to help her insert a tampon!
She's 15 and has never been able to get one in but really wants to start using them. We've had a chat about it and I've tried to get her to relax but she always gets in such a state about these things. She's probably too tense so I thought some lube might help.
This is one of those things you don't think having to deal with when you decide to have a baby!

MrsPacMan Wed 05-Apr-17 18:59:00

Posting on MN is unlikely to help her 😁

NecklessMumster Wed 05-Apr-17 18:59:29

Is it an applicator one? I couldn't use the non app ones at that age

Confusicous Wed 05-Apr-17 19:00:49

I've always found them impossible - softcups however work amazingly for me

Also she might not realise that you don't push it "up" might be worth mentioning it goes "back" somewhat

MapMyMum Wed 05-Apr-17 19:01:07

Let her use pads??? I always hated tampons, tried all sorts of varieties but never got on with them

snozzlemaid Wed 05-Apr-17 20:01:21

Thanks MrsPacMan. Very helpful. What topics are ok to discuss on mumsnet? Didn't know there were rules.
Yes, she's trying with applicator ones. Using plastic ones at the moment as they're more slippery. Had the discussion about which way the vagina goes, so she knows not to push straight up.
She's had a bit of success but not got it all the way in.
She wanted to go swimmimg with a friend tomorrow so she really wants to do it. I'm not pressuring her into it. It's her choice.

MrsPacMan Wed 05-Apr-17 20:09:44

Sorry, didn't realise you were asking for advice, so it seemed like a strange post to make. If you do a little search you'll get lots of older threads about this kind of thing 👍flowers

highinthesky Wed 05-Apr-17 20:13:10

I don't think DD has any great awareness of anything other than the entrance of her vagina. In your position I would have skipped the KY and inserted the first one for her. Then she'll be off and away.

lljkk Wed 05-Apr-17 20:14:40

That's vile.

Enelya Wed 05-Apr-17 20:17:34

I used to need to put one foot up on the bath side and bend the standing leg when I was learning. It helped get it further in.

PermanentlyDumbfounded Wed 05-Apr-17 20:18:18

Silly question, but she's got the tiny ones for teenagers, yes?

I remember propping my leg up on the sink/ loo helped. And taking some deep breaths.

MrsPacMan Wed 05-Apr-17 20:18:23

Are you literally high highinthesky

justdontevenfuckingstart Wed 05-Apr-17 20:20:39

DD2 never could manage either. Has the 3 year implant now, no spotting or mood swings and contraception sorted. She was very sporty so this was a good result for her. (not your question I know)

Purpleprickles Wed 05-Apr-17 20:21:59

Snozzle would she try non applicator ones? I could never and have never got on with applicator ones so once I wanted to use them went straight to Lilets. This would have been around your dd's age.

LimitedSedition Wed 05-Apr-17 20:24:05

I'm pretty alternative and out there as a parent high but even I'd draw the line there.

ImLadybird Wed 05-Apr-17 20:25:16

Isn't MN supposed to be a place we can come to for advice and support that we can't find elsewhere?

Maybe try with just a finger to start off with. She should get a feel for what's what and try the tampon after.

ImLadybird Wed 05-Apr-17 20:26:40

Her finger though - not yours ;)

welshweasel Wed 05-Apr-17 20:27:19

Agree try tampax Pearl and the non applicator ones. Get her to insert her finger first so she has an idea of where she's going. Foot up on loo good position to try.

justdontevenfuckingstart Wed 05-Apr-17 20:27:50

I think, there was possibly a troll a while back that was posting about helping with a tampon if my memory serves correct which may be what high was referencing.

BertieBotts Wed 05-Apr-17 20:28:00

Has she tried putting her own finger inside so she knows where to aim for? I found that helpful. And also to know that it wouldn't break or hurt if I did manage it.

PaperdollCartoon Wed 05-Apr-17 20:28:39

Definitely keep trying with the plastic applicators, they're the easiest to use. Getting one leg up on the side of the bath or something can help too, rather than just trying sitting on the loo. And relax! She'll get there in time.

Reow Wed 05-Apr-17 20:32:58

Could you have her try the smaller sized moon cup? I've always found tampons uncomfortable and drying. Tried a moon cup in my 30s and never looked back, and they can be left in 12 hours, and you can get a good measure on heaviness. And far far less risk of tss.

There are also online tutorials etc.

Hulder Wed 05-Apr-17 20:37:38

FInger, mirror, lube, non-applicator.

The anatomy was not remotely as I had pictured it.

IHeartDodo Wed 05-Apr-17 20:38:53

I think the first time I tried to put one in I only got it 2/3 of the way in... Just don't panic, if it's not working leave it and try again a bit later. Forcing it if it's not working will hurt and be off putting!
PS. I'm assuming you have the smallest size - the ones about the size of your little finger?

sonlypuppyfat Wed 05-Apr-17 20:45:34

I'm 50 and I've got 3 kids , I can't get them in, horrible things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now