Talk

Advanced search

Do most 17 year olds who are in college have part time jobs?

(49 Posts)
Nameideas Wed 05-Apr-17 16:54:04

DSS lives with us full time. Sees his mum every few months (their choice- mother & DSS). He is at college full time. He hasn't shown any interest in getting weekend or summer job. Do most 17 year olds who are at college not have jobs or show interest? He gets pocket money every week which is spent on junk food/ sweets. He doesn't help much around the house (does his own laundry and sorts the recycling when reminded). I'm interested in what other 17 year olds get up to.

He has already said he wants to attend local uni so he can stay at home and not have to pay rent. I was rather looking forward to him going away to uni as all he does all day (when he's not at college) is lock himself away in his room chatting online with friends and playing video games. Please share what your children at this stage are doing or did.

dnamummy Wed 05-Apr-17 17:04:34

My 17DS hasn't got a job. He gets pocket money for dvds/games/books etc and isn't interested in more money. He is good around the house though ( dishwasher most days, Hoover once week, lawn once week in summer). He also will only go to university if local (his choice, I would be happy with either).

He is still immature in so many ways I think a job would help him mature, but accept I can't push, but he has started to think about driving and that may be the catalyst (I'll buy a car for him but he would need to cover running costs)

swingofthings Wed 05-Apr-17 17:45:54

Most of the 17yo I know have a PT job whilst at college. DD is doing 4 A levels, at 6th form 8 to 3 every day, but works two evenings a week and every saturdays (and some volunteering on Sundays) as well as almost every day during the holidays. I am actually having to tell her not to take every extra hours offered.

Most of her friends are the same, whatever the income of the family, whatever the pocket money they get. Getting that first job is not easy, but once in, they seem to be doing quite well finding work when they really want one.

nicenewone1 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:54:34

DD 17 is in college and has a pt time job. They should be doing something at that age to gain a work ethic, these days it's harder than ever to get motivated to work. To some teens there are other far more important things to do rather than have a job, like be on social media all day.

I told her at 16 to get a job. She refused, so taking advice from my local careers office, i got her a voluntary job instead, as they said she should be doing something. She was incandescent with rage, and just before the start date in the charity shop, she announced she had a proper paid part time job.

DD 18 is disabled, and is not ready for a paid job, but she works on a voluntary basis each Sunday.

Get your dss a voluntary position if he wont get a job .

nicenewone1 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:57:16

I should add that DD 17 is still getting pocket money until she's 18 even though she's earning. But it goes straight into her savings account and is not accessible to her.

CotesDeGroan Wed 05-Apr-17 20:01:22

PT jobs for under-18s can be hard to come by in some areas. With so many more capable adults being available to work on zero hours contracts for shit pay, 17yos are less attractive a prospect.

MrsGotobed Wed 05-Apr-17 20:03:55

17yo DD has had a job since just turning 17. It seems quite common amongst her 6th form to have a job (boys and girls) but not all do by any means.

She also still gets some pocket money (part of which pays for her phone contract).

I think starting work has been brilliant for her as it's given her something to do that isn't school and isn't a screen! It's also good for her confidence.

user1484615313 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:05:45

My son is looking for a job for the summer. But will concentrate more on his studies and piano lessons during term time.

HamletsSister Wed 05-Apr-17 20:07:13

DS is nearly 17. He is at school but does 30 hours a week in the holidays and about 8-10 in term time (not deepest winter) waiting tables in a pub. He is hoping to "take a year off" before Uni (depending on grades) so will work more to fund travels.

However, when not at school, or paid working he barely leaves his room except to eat and for the occasional chat. He does not do much in the house but will have to do more after his exams.

lalaloopyhead Wed 05-Apr-17 20:08:42

DD has been working since she turned 17 last summer, she works in a restaurant at a local tourist facility (being a bit vague there) and gets reasonably paid. It is 3 shifts a week and earns her about £300 a month which is very handy as she can buy some of her own stuff and is also saving for Uni.

BackforGood Wed 05-Apr-17 20:17:22

I have a ds who is 20 and a dd who is 18.

Both had their first jobs delivering a free paper - just once a week.
At 17, ds had also worked (cleaning) in a shop for about 50mins after school 4x a week and a 6 hr shift on a Saturday, then gave that up for a more attractive {so he thought} job in another shop as a sales asst - shifts on a zero hour contract. Almost FT in school hols, and quite variable at other times of year.
From 16, dd worked PT as a lifeguard. Virtually FT in the school hols and just picking up the odd shift to help people out in term time.

The vast majority of both of their friends also do some work for money - varies quite a lot what people can get, but everyone seems to be on the lookout for work even if not finding much.

BigSandyBalls2015 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:37:34

My DD has been working in a chip shop since she was 15 (now 16). Not great money but adds up over the month, and has given her a lot of confidence, dealing with the public etc.

operaha Thu 06-Apr-17 08:50:02

Ds 17 in 6th form. Musician so very busy with rehearsals most evenings.
Saturday afternoon pub job. Doesn't bring much money. Doesn't get pocket money but i pay for whatever he needs. Will work a looooot more hours in summer holidays.

oldestmumaintheworld Thu 06-Apr-17 08:59:52

You seem to have two issues to tackle. One is the part-time job and yes, I think most 17 year olds have a part-time job. And frankly if they don't, they should, even if it's voluntary. Learning how to get and keep a job are vital life skills.

The second issue though is your stepson saying he wants to stay at home for university so that he pays no rent. You need to knock this idea on the head straight away. Personally, I believe that all youngsters benefit from going away from home, but aside from that issue, he needs to understand that staying at home once you reach adulthood (ie you leave school) means you have to pay your way. I think you and his dad need to have a serious chat with him about money.

Alonglongway Thu 06-Apr-17 09:09:27

Dd1 has worked Saturdays in the library since just after her 16th birthday. Dd2 is coming up to 17. I just insisted she find some work and she's got a job helping out at local hairdresser

Nameideas Thu 06-Apr-17 14:47:54

Thank you all for your replies. Do you mind sharing details on how your teenagers went about in finding their first jobs? I have looked on supermarket websites but they seem to want weekdays too which wouldn't be doable for DSS. Any ideas on where to find summer jobs? I have no clue as I didnt grow up in the UK. Thanks

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 06-Apr-17 14:55:21

DD got her job through an extra curricular activity.

user1484615313 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:16:31

Indeed web site. Looking in shop windows when out and about. Local paper. My son has actually gone around lots of local shops asking if they are looking or will be looking for summer staff. But has to be done often. As new things pop up all the time.

BackforGood Thu 06-Apr-17 17:54:12

Regularly popping round the pubs, cafes, shops he can walk to - they get zillions of CVs handed in, but most don't keep or file them, it's just luck if a vacancy is there when they inquire.

Through things they already do / people they already know - often through volunteering

Local community Facebook site hear regularly advertises jobs - or sometimes a 'reader' will put on "X shop is looking for someone on a Saturday - saw a car in the window" type thing.

With the paper round we looked for contact details in the paper and contacted them and asked.

Indeed has stuff on it, although you have to wade through a lot of e-mails with stuff he couldn't do.

If he's into sport, etc. then letting coaches know he's looking - folk will often ask coaches if they know any good youngsters to help out

AnyFucker Thu 06-Apr-17 18:02:35

My 17yo sounds just like this one

PT jobs difficult to come by unless you know someone, tbh

He doesn't find studying easy and already has 2 evenings a week and some weekends devoted to extra curricular/voluntary activities

Am not pushing him atm but when the time comes for him to want to travel, holiday with friends or run a car he will have to get his finger out

StereophonicallyChallenged Thu 06-Apr-17 18:05:32

Try catering industry for more evening/weekend work OP.

Among DD and her friends, they have jobs at McD's, KFC, a juice bar, a pub, vue cinema and a local chippy and cafe.

There are a couple in shops too, but they are more fixed shifts I think.

228agreenend Thu 06-Apr-17 18:13:55

My 17 doesn't have a job, and i'm not pushing him to get one either. To be honest, with school work and clubs, there's not a lot of time lef ( plus we live in a rural area, and i don't fancy chauffeuring around <lazy mum>). However, during school,holidays, he usually helps at a 1-2 day tennis and gets paid a token amount then.

228agreenend Thu 06-Apr-17 18:13:56

My 17 doesn't have a job, and i'm not pushing him to get one either. To be honest, with school work and clubs, there's not a lot of time lef ( plus we live in a rural area, and i don't fancy chauffeuring around <lazy mum>). However, during school,holidays, he usually helps at a 1-2 day tennis and gets paid a token amount then.

noblegiraffe Thu 06-Apr-17 18:15:52

Most of my sixth formers who have a part time job work in a shop. Clothes shops, supermarkets, B&Q. Disney Store and Build a Bear also seem to like young staff. The sixth former who worked at Dominos and got a discount was very popular!

MrsGotobed Thu 06-Apr-17 19:47:49

Nameideas - if you live near any boarding schools or universities that have catered halls of residence they take on lots of young people as dining room assistants, kitchen assistants etc evenings and/or weekends during term time and then often during the holidays too if they have external groups using the accommodation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now