Talk

Advanced search

Teen fitness

(11 Posts)
Rollatree Sat 01-Apr-17 18:16:09

Hi just looking for positive help here!

DD ,14, has been trying to get fitter and has joined some after-school sport clubs that are now stopping as it becomes summer term. I was wondering what success others have found with gyms at her age (local gym allows 11-16s at certain times) or sports that require little previous skill as she is not very talented at most sports and often loses confidence if she lets the team down or isn't very good generally. Hope you can help x

bruffin Sat 01-Apr-17 18:39:05

Dc are not the team games sporty type but we are fortunate to have a mariners base and now the olympic kayaking centre on our door stop so they did kayaking, climbing sailing etc. They also did lifesaving and DD is now 19 and just taking up diving and progressing quite well.

SafeToCross Sat 01-Apr-17 18:42:12

Gym was ok for dd, except youth can only go at certain times and it became popular, so she got fed up with it being busy and perhaps feeling self conscious as other young people around. What about something like Zumba or Kettlebell classes?

SafeToCross Sat 01-Apr-17 18:42:28

Or circuits, they are for anyone

Dozer Sat 01-Apr-17 18:44:11

Group exercise classes? Fun!

elephantoverthehill Sat 01-Apr-17 18:46:53

What about dancing? My local sports centre does a rave dancing type class for keep fit. I'm sure there are no age restrictions on it. Or something like Zumba?

floatingfrog Sat 01-Apr-17 18:48:09

Yes my DD loves it and goes a few times a week. I would recommend it but she goes with a friend.

Cornishmumofone Sat 01-Apr-17 18:51:36

Your daughter is just within the age range for junior parkrun (2km), or you could both try an ordinary parkrun if there's one near you smile

Ollivander84 Sat 01-Apr-17 18:54:24

Aerial hoop is mega fun
Or one of those clip and climb places? I keep meaning to go

Mirrortree Sat 01-Apr-17 19:23:49

These are great! Thanks so much, keep them comingsmile!

lottachocca Sat 01-Apr-17 19:30:20

Climbing, running, circuits? They all progress at their own rate. Zumba is fun but you need to be able to be prepared to feel out of your depth for a few weeks - my dd hated it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now