Talk

Advanced search

DD minor pe injury wwyd?

(18 Posts)
amyt250190 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:33:57

So my dd is 13 and she hurt her finger in pe today and after running it under cold water for 20 mins at school and putting ice and arnica on it at home and resting it shes still complaining its hurting even more now and the swelling hasnt gone down, she cannot use her whole hand because its too painful, shes had 2 paracetamols which dont usually work for her but shes allergic to ibuprofen. what should I do now as I seem to have done all I can

Groovee Tue 28-Mar-17 16:46:39

I'd get an X-ray

Wolfiefan Tue 28-Mar-17 16:47:35

You haven't done all you can do. Seek actual medical advice. confused

amyt250190 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:57:01

I was going to go down to the a&e as there is no minor injuries unit but I was previously told by my doctor not do go to a&e unless its life-threatening.

Aliveinwanderland Tue 28-Mar-17 17:00:24

She isn't a medical emergency, but she is in pain and there isn't anything else you can do at home. Either your GP refers you for an X-ray, or you go to A&E and sit it out. Personally I would do A&E because of her age. You never know whether broken bones are pressing nerves and you can cause lasting damage by not having it seen to.

FadedRed Tue 28-Mar-17 17:01:16

It needs an X-ray, so you need to take her to A&E. Hand injuries can lead to long term problems, so please don't delay. Be prepared for a long wait though.

amyt250190 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:02:33

Thank you all will do

WhatHaveIFound Tue 28-Mar-17 17:04:50

DS had a similar injury. He had an xray at minor injuries (thankfully not broken) and it was strapped up for a week. Painkillers weren't touching the pain and it was swollen to 3 times it's normal size so hospital staff said we'd done the right thing.

I'd sit it out in A&E if i were you.

youarenotkiddingme Tue 28-Mar-17 17:05:33

It's accident and emergency.

Your dd has had an accident which hasn't responded to treatment at home. Therefore needs to be seen by an accident unit.

chloesmumtoo Tue 28-Mar-17 17:08:05

Yes definitely go. Dd bent her finger back in basket ball and we had to take her to our nearest minor injuries, turned out her xray was showing some signs. Had to then visit the fracture clinic as it was something to do with where the ligaments attach to the finger joint. Little chip or something. Had to have it wrapped up for a while. Do take her as fingers can cause a lot of issues if not correctly delt with.

Lindy2 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:08:54

It's not an emergency but it is an accident. I would want an xray as it isn't getting any better. Around here if you need an xray you have to go to a and e.
I hope she feels better soon.

Chaotica Tue 28-Mar-17 17:10:42

Go to A&E. DD had similar to chloesmumtoo's DD, also from basketball. It isn't serious if it's treated. but it did need strapping up.

Chaotica Tue 28-Mar-17 17:11:29

FWIW I phoned the GP when DD was injured and they said A&E was the only option.

Penfold007 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:19:26

Do you have a Minor Injury Unit nearby? I took DS to ours with a similar hand swelling, he'd broken his finger.

PingPongBat Wed 29-Mar-17 17:19:10

I'm a bit hmm at your GP's comment about not going to A&E unless it's life-threatening - as a PP has said the A is for Accident & unless your GP has x-ray facilities, or you have a minor injuries place near you, where else are you going to go if you think your child might have broken a bone or damaged ligaments? I took DD to out of hours GP about a similar thing, and he sent us straight to A&E - DD had chipped a bone, damaged ligaments & ended up with a cast for a fortnight hand therapy for 8 weeks!

JustDanceAddict Thu 30-Mar-17 17:41:11

I took DD to a&he when she trapped her thumb in a car door. She had an x-ray but thankfully wasn't broken. Local Minor injuries only has x-ray in working hours.

amyt250190 Sat 01-Apr-17 22:57:54

We took her to a&e turns out she "jammed" her finger, which I'm pretty sure is a special word for a severe sprain. So they taped it up and its all good! Thank you for the replies x

FadedRed Mon 03-Apr-17 21:56:28

Happy it turned out to not be fractured. Thanks for coming back to update.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now