Talk

Advanced search

Dd almost 13 years old is not showing much signs of puberty.

(13 Posts)
Atitsgratter Mon 27-Mar-17 14:47:28

She is going to be 13 years old beginning of May. Her breasts are pointing a bit but she hasn't any body hair. She is also very slim, I don't think she eats enough. She says she is trying to be healthy but doesn't eat vegetables. She hasn't got her periods yet. Do you think I should be worried ?

SookiesSocks Mon 27-Mar-17 14:54:53

I was 15/16 before I started showing any signs and 16 when I started my period.
Diet can play a part but only if she is dangerously under eating.
Whether she eats veg or not wont cause a delay in puberty.
I was a size 8 and 5ft 7 at 13 so slim and tall but I ate well.

What food/meals does she eat?

Atitsgratter Mon 27-Mar-17 15:02:48

At school today, I saw she only ate a croissant and a juice. This morning, she made herself a crumpet but didn't eat it. On Friday lunch, she had a sausage roll and a dessert. She doesn't eat proper meals, just snack type of food. At home, I make meals like bolognese or stir fry, she does eat but very small portions.

ZombieApocalips Mon 27-Mar-17 15:03:57

My dd is 13 and says that it's 50/50 whether or not a girl has her period at her age.

SookiesSocks Mon 27-Mar-17 15:06:44

I think her food intake is more concerning than her lack of puberty.
You need to chat with her about healthy eating which is more than just snacks.

Has she always been a light eater?

OhDearToby Mon 27-Mar-17 15:08:09

I didn't start till I was nearly 15 and had a very straight up and down body type until after them. I only started growing hips and boobs when I was about 16 and still don't exactly have much.

Ilovewillow Mon 27-Mar-17 15:09:18

I didn't have breasts until I was about 13 and my periods didn't start until I was 15 so I wouldn't be worried in that regard. The food would give me cause for concern though and I would be talking to her regards healthy eating.

blueskyinmarch Mon 27-Mar-17 15:13:22

My DD2 has always been tall and skinny. She didn't start her periods until she was around age 16 and at age 19 she still has not got much in the way of breasts. That is just her build. I wouldn't worry until your DD is over 16.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 27-Mar-17 23:06:26

She sounds like my eldest. I was also getting a bit concerned, but things started progressing a bit faster as she approached 14 and her periods started just a couple of weeks after her 14th birthday. She then promptly had a massive growth spurt and started year 10 by shocking all her friends who hadn't seen her for six weeks!

Still no body hair but she seems healthy so I'm not going to worry.

loveyouradvice Wed 29-Mar-17 20:27:18

Yup, suggest don't worry yet - entirely normal. I was in similar situation ... DD started at 14 and 7 months... articles I read suggested talking to GP if not started at 15... as entirely normal but for very few to start after that

Littledrummergirl Sat 01-Apr-17 16:14:45

I was 16 when I started to develop, 17 when I got my period. I now wear a 38h bra hmm
Don't worry just yet.

Aquamarine1029 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:13:52

Her diet is absolutely atrocious and there's no way she is getting the nutrients her body desperately needs. You need to get this sorted ASAP.

SafeToCross Sun 09-Apr-17 17:30:18

Being underweight will stall puberty - can you do a weight height check or get her to see gp or school nurse (look back at her red book and see if she has dropped centiles). It is important so she grows, has energy and her body is fully functioning. Like pp, not so much because of age or lack of puberty but because of possible low weight, which may or may not be connected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now