Talk

Advanced search

Mother's day

(4 Posts)
bigbuttons Mon 27-Mar-17 07:42:05

My second ds is 17.5.( second child of 6) He lives with his dad, but up until last year he was round very regularly.
Yesterday I went to his dad's with all the kids . All of them had given me cards/flowers/chocolate stuff but he didn't even say happy mother's day/acknowledge the day at all.

I understand that he is completely into himself and his mates/ girlfriend, social life but I feel very sad.
Is this normal?
I would really appreciate any tales you have to tell.

rogueantimatter Mon 27-Mar-17 19:17:24

Newly 18YO didn't get me anything. (20YO made a lovely card and cut my hair)

I honestly don't mind this with DS. At Christmas and birthdays I tell them not to spend very much at all on me. It's such a waste of their money. DS is busy and scatterbrained.

PingPongBat Wed 29-Mar-17 17:24:16

DS is 17 & lives at home, he didn't get me a card and DH was very hmm with him as he thinks it's really important not to forget these things. I was a bit sad but not overly surprised as he's forgetful, leaves things to the last minute and has loads of work / mocks / UCAS stuff going on. He did say happy mother's day & gave me a hug and then asked if I wanted him to get a card for me!

swingofthings Wed 29-Mar-17 17:48:36

I don't really expect anything from my kids but that's because I'm not the one to make a fuss of being given special treatment on special days. I see it that when you love someone, you show it to them regularly and/or when they need it most.

Saying that, if my kids didn't even acknowledge the day at all, I'd be a bit disappointed, but not upset. They do give me a card and it does make me smile. This year especially as they both got me 'cheesy' cards with I love you, which previously would have made them cringe. DD also got me a present, a very unusual, certainly un-mother day, but one that is actually practical and useful, so I was delighted.

Saying that, they were at their dad, and I didn't get a text or anything and was only wished a happy mother's day when I picked them up later in the day.

Not making a fuss in one thing, but yes, ignoring all together, especially when you go to see him is a bit harsh. Did you not say anything? What about his dad?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now