Talk

Advanced search

Tiny 13 year old daughter

(5 Posts)
hampshiremum321 Thu 16-Mar-17 11:25:59

Hi, am looking for some reassurance. I have already posted this under another topic but thought it might be better under "teenagers"!

Am getting increasingly worried about my tiny 13.5 year old daughter. She has always been small for her age, but this has become far more pronounced over the last couple of years. She is only 141cm and size 1 feet. Puberty not properly started although can notice breast buds if looking closely, only recently though. All her school friends tower over her, children in Year 6 (she is Year 8) tower over her. She looks like a 9 or 10 year old and it is affecting her self esteem as she would love to dress in older clothes and not look like a "little kid" as she puts it. She is barely above the 0.4th percentile and she has practically not grown in the last 3 months! (Her brother has grown a cm) - I measure them both at regular intervals. From about age 1-5 she was on the 2nd percentile and then it dropped after that. The last few years she has grown less than the standard 2 inches a year, and no growth spurt seems to be happening. Things are getting worse as younger and younger kids catch up and overtake her. She has a healthy diet and gets some exercise, but is rather slim.

Worth talking to the doctor? I somehow suspect they won't be able to do much and will tell me that "small parents have small children". Anyone gone through the same issues in the past and it turned out okay?

By the way, my husband is 5 foot 10, I am 5 foot 2 and I started my period at age 14 and 2 months, if that helps.

Thank you.

halcyondays Thu 16-Mar-17 11:33:48

I suppose there wouldn't be any harm talking to the doctor.

Try New Look teen range for clothes, it starts age 9, H&M might be good too.

Wellthatsit Thu 16-Mar-17 11:38:48

Yes, going through the same with my DS, and I was the same as your DD. Didn't start developing til I was over 13, no periods til 15, and small for my age.
Definitely worth going to the doctor and there are things they can do. It's also worth it as the doctors can rule out any other problems that may be affecting her development e.g. celiac disease.

My DS will probably get treatment as he is 15 and hasn't started puberty (just undergoing tests right now). He is at the 0 centile too. His dad is only 5'6" so small for a guy. I am 5'3" so not tiny but not big either.
Waiting for an appointment tent is a pain so I would get her to the GP and get on a waiting list.

AndHoldTheBun Thu 16-Mar-17 11:44:31

Yes go to the GP.

It's possible that's she's small, and healthy. However, are many things which could be stoping her growing. Just to give an example, even if she eats well, any medical condition which reduces her ability to absorb nutrients will cause reduced growth. There are LOTS of different things that can reduce ability to absorb nutrients, coeliac diseases is one that's worth considering.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Thu 16-Mar-17 11:48:04

It would be worth taking her to the Dr as there are some conditions that affect growth and hormone production, however it may just be that she is small and will grow in her own time.

My friends dd is like this, my dd is 18 months younger than her and looks about 3 years older!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now