Talk

Advanced search

will not practice

(16 Posts)
Burgerking123 Sat 11-Mar-17 21:49:56

Until this year My 12 year old daughter would practice boxing or kickboxing at home.

She is now refusing

She has lovely proper kit/equipment

She has been offered prizes of her choice each session etc etc.

I have the prizes in front of me

Its been explained why its important and beneficial

Any help please?

She is good at Boxing/Kickboxing

Bensyster Sat 11-Mar-17 22:32:38

If she doesn't want to do it - why do you want to force her?

5OBalesofHay Sat 11-Mar-17 22:42:29

Why is kickboxing important?

Wolfiefan Sat 11-Mar-17 22:43:55

Why does she have to do it? Some things are compulsory. Hobbies aren't.

Burgerking123 Sat 11-Mar-17 23:08:51

Really or self defence and

Classes are fun & safe
•Learn anti-bullyng skills
•Improve fitness
•Learn Self Defense skills
•Reduce stress/energy levels
•Motivation
•Self Discipline
•Respect for others
she was going to try karate she wont or any other martial arts

Burgerking123 Sat 11-Mar-17 23:21:41

* Doe not got to a club

suggested years ago

Could not get her there

elephantoverthehill Sat 11-Mar-17 23:23:29

May be her hormones are kicking in no pun intended . Also the move to secondary school makes children try to fit in more. She has the basic skills and make take it up later. All 3 of my DCs have done judo. They have left and gone back at times. 'Hobbies' for DCs are about opening avenues for children IMO, they are introduced to it, can stick with it, go back to it, but more importantly have the life skills to join clubs etc.

SallyGinnamon Sun 12-Mar-17 00:40:37

Sorry. My DC have given up loads of stuff having started secondary. It he's to be her choice not yours.

SallyGinnamon Sun 12-Mar-17 00:40:56

Has. Not he's

Leggit Sun 12-Mar-17 00:51:51

Perhaps she is not interested

BackforGood Sun 12-Mar-17 00:56:15

Maybe - like most of us - she doesn't enjoy the mundane practice any more. She might still enjoy the lessons.
Up to you if you are then happy for her to continue to go, and just enjoy it as an activity, or if you will only pay for lessons if she is pushing hard towards the next level (is it a 'belt' in kick boxing??)

keeplooking Sun 12-Mar-17 01:06:38

Do I understand from your initial posts that your dd doesn't actually have lessons in kick boxing and that she has just been doing it at home, with incentives (prizes) provided by you?

I think now is the time to listen to your dd.

skerrywind Sun 12-Mar-17 07:23:06

Poor kid.

AtSea1979 Sun 12-Mar-17 07:33:27

I know how frustrating it is to pay for lessons and see their potential and they won't practice. Both my DC play instruments, they enjoy the lessons but don't touch it once home.
But this is different, your DD won't have lessons so I don't understand want the issue is. You're not shelling out money and feel like you're wasting it. You do realise all that nonsense about discipline and respect is just the tosh that they say? Clearly you don't respect your DD wishes and she will see that. Self defence is about the only valid reason you've given OP but that takes us in to the whole victim blaming remit and the onus should not be on teaching our kids to defend themselves, surely teaching her to listen and respect others decisions is a far more valuable lesson?

skerrywind Sun 12-Mar-17 07:36:45

Not frustrating at all.

Extra curricular activities should be fun. I don't believe in pushing.

clearsommespace Sun 12-Mar-17 07:52:27

I think you just have to set a good example and hope she will come back to it or another sport in future. Forcing her will not work. DD same age as yours has stopped her instrument and doesn't do anything extra curricular this school year. She was pretty good at it but we have had to accept her decision. The rest of the family all do regular sport and cultural activities. I hope she will take something else up. She can see how we enjoy what we do, coming home feeling happier for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now