Talk

Advanced search

Teenage boys hair loss

(6 Posts)
PJ67 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:46:36

My 18 year old ds is getting a bit worried about receding at the hairline. His dad and grandad went bald at a young age and I think it's getting him down. I'm torn between trying to be positive about baldness and how it doesn't matter etc but at the same time wondering if he should consider any of the hair loss treatments available. He finds it quite hard to talk about things but has said that he would like to try and delay it but doesn't think anything will work. Any advice welcome.

Kenworthington Sun 05-Mar-17 21:50:26

No idea but my 18yr old Ds has an almost bald patch at the back of his head. In fact I noticed today he is getting a second one. He said his hairdresser told him it was a birth mark and its lighter hair (it's def not). It's weird as he used to have such think lovely hair but I think he's quite paranoid about it so I'm not going to mention it to him again.

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 07-Mar-17 18:41:18

Aww that's really tough sad I don't have any advice but I don't think it is that uncommon, would he go to the doctors? I think it's sometimes caused by high levels of testosterone - no idea if caught early they can counteract that?

I think a lot of male pattern baldness is also genetic, although my adult nephews went bald in their late teens/early twenties but my DB (their dad) at over 60 still has a full head of hair as does my SIL's dad and brother.

Bumdiedum Tue 07-Mar-17 21:52:09

If it was me I'd take him to the GP. I've heard it is a lot easier to keep your hair in than get it back again once its gone. It's easy to say get a buzz cut and embrace it, but when you're at the age you're looking for job/love it can really dent your confidence and mental health. If he knows what the options are he can decide if he wants to have a go at keeping it or just go with it. At least then he and you will know you tried.

MrsMarigold Tue 07-Mar-17 21:57:01

Go to the doctor my brother's hair started to fall out at 16, he's now 37 and quite bald but at 16, he was teased. He only recently told me it really affected his confidence. He also said at Uni people assumed he was in his 30s (he's done a lot of outdoor sports which age the skin) and asked him abut being a mature student.

PJ67 Tue 07-Mar-17 22:35:38

Thanks for the replies. We've stated having a look at what potential treatments are available although it's a bit of a minefield. Not sure if the GP's have much knowledge in this area but will do a bit of research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now