Talk

Advanced search

Just a thread for when teenagers are being lovely.

(62 Posts)
annandale Thu 02-Mar-17 19:29:51

Not being smug - DS is only 13 and i've read a lot of threads by parents of 15 year olds etc saying 'he was lovely at 13'

But just to remind myself, one day in the future when he's being a pain, of just how nice teenagers can be.

He no longer needs me to wipe his arse, entertain him 24/7 or prevent him from certain death every 2 minutes.
He's not cuddly exactly but if we are both sitting on the settee he will drape his legs over mine, and he still will tolerate wants a goodnight kiss before he goes up.
He will ask us how we are and if we had a good day sometimes
He is starting to do his chores without being constantly nagged.
Ditto homework - he may do the absolute minimum but he DOES it.
He's a good friend and has some good mates he does nice things with.
He doesn't seem to be particularly into romance yet so there is no huge drama.
He's quite good at being polite and basic social niceties for a short time.
He loves his screen time and is no doubt watching all sorts of stuff we'd rather he didn't but it's really great when he shows us some stupid joke or other and we all have a giggle.
He's rather paternal about me and will check I have my keys and phone before leaving the house grin

Tell me nice things your teenager does smile

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:33:06

My ds 15 told me last night that I have lovely glowing skin and def don't look my age!! (45)

user1487175389 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:33:58

Ah what a lovely idea for a thread. None of mine are that age yet but I like to remind myself the idea of the rebellious teenager was invented in the 1950s. Before that, presumably people just grew up. And my grandmother (born 1921) left school at 14 to work in a factory to support her family. Hormones or no hormones.

Abraiid2 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:34:28

My sometimes very bolshie 18-year-old offered to come and support me at a funeral.

Ohtobeskiing Thu 02-Mar-17 19:36:19

My 18 year old dd bought me brunch on Sunday.

I have preferred the teenage years to the toddler years. There, I've said it!

Harvestmoonsobig Thu 02-Mar-17 19:36:38

My two, 18 and 16, have been vile for what feels like years BUT today both have been absolutely gorgeous- chatty, liking to be in my company, thank you for lifts and stuff. 16yo and I went on a lovely walk this evening. ABSOLUTE BLISS. Now back to normal but I have my lovely day. 🙆🏻

user1471467016 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:46:16

When at school they are generally lovely and parents, you would be proud of them. They smile, chat, open doors and clear away plates. Today a year 9 boy went and bought a biscuit for a crying year 7 boy, who'd dropped his lunch tray, and was saying what an awful day he was having as we were trying to get things and him cleared up. He didn't know him, and just came over, said this is for you and wandered off, no other words. Kindness like that isn't unusual, but when you see it, it makes you smile. Kids (secondary age), are lovely

nooka Fri 03-Mar-17 05:26:40

ds (17) made a really tasty curry tonight. Granted we did have a bit of a barney about the volume of the yelling to League of Legends and the missingness of garlic too grin dd (16) is washing up and then we'll watch some rubbish on tele together.

I love my teenagers, arguments and all. I'd say life with them has continually got better and better ever since they were babies (I really don't like babies!)

HearTheThunderRoar Fri 03-Mar-17 05:32:48

My DD (17) gave up her Sunday afternoon last weekend to help me write my CV...took it to a recruitment agency yesterday and they said what a fantastic CV grin

DD has always been a lovely and helpful teenager, always helpful. Absolutely terrible toddler and baby though...

annandale Fri 03-Mar-17 06:12:49

That's great to hear user...

Yes re people in the past just growing up. I do wonder if the youth rebellion of the 50s and 60s was more of a contrast because so many of the parents had spent their own youth under military discipline of some kind. My own dad only did National Service but that was still 2 years. He found my brother growing his hair almost unbearable. My brother was at university studying well, religious and a completely blameless life but apparently his hair touching his collar was cause for rows and stress. All totally unnecessary.

swingofthings Fri 03-Mar-17 10:44:19

Like many kids, mine are the children of gold with everyone else. Their teachers love them and think they are model pupils, friends' parents think I am the luckiest mum, the people DD works with think she is the loveliest 17yo...

When it comes to what they do for me...well occasionally they ask me how my day was!

I think as a parent of teenagers, having children that fulfill the first part is a massive blessing, the second is an exceptional bonus?

kath6144 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:00:06

DS19 never went through the bad teenager stage, he has been fairly placid, hard working etc throughout. Now at uni, he did have more attitude at Christmas, but we knew that might happen as he had been used to his independance and suddenly he was getting chores to do again!

DD16 has had than her fair share of stroppiness in the last few years, and at times I despaired. But, as she heads to being 17, she is growing into a lovely young lady. Working hard at college, cooked tea last night, only goes out with friends to cinema/for meals, no big drinking parties yet. We still have a few run-ins with her, but not as often!

Sittinginthesun Sat 04-Mar-17 11:04:22

My boy is 13, but is a strapping, mature teenager. He's really grown into himself this year, confident, happy to talk to adults, always got time for a hug and a chat.

This is the child I was so worried for in primary school. He was scared of his own shadow, no eye contact, frequent melt downs, sensory issues. Puberty has been the beet thing in the world for him, and I am just so proud of him.

Nice to say it outloud! grin

bruffin Sat 04-Mar-17 11:06:47

Dd 19 has been on placement this week working with old people with alzeimhers. I love her coming home and telling the story of the day and how much she has enjoyed playing 7s or name that tune or learning about their lives.

user1491083052 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:15:10

Ds, nearly 17, played a board game with me; doesn't happen very often and we laughed lots. Also, dances with me sometimes, although generally rather unwillingly. Still get hugs from him and he still likes a good old fuss when on sofa together.
Makes up for the times he is stroppy and telling me to shut up!!!!!!!!!! Bless him.

skippy67 Thu 06-Apr-17 19:07:26

Both of mine are fab. DS19 has always been kind, affectionate, polite. Dd16 is currently curled up next to me on the sofa. She's been revising regularly since the holidays started. We've been on long walks together at her request and we talk about everything. I've been very lucky so far.

Confuzzlediddled Thu 06-Apr-17 19:20:42

We're currently on holiday, DH couldn't get the time of work so my lovely dd (14) has been "looking after me" she's been so concerned that I've taken my meds and has helped me get my meals from the self serve Restaurant. Ds (14) has also been concerned and keeps asking if I'm ok ❤️

AuntieStella Thu 06-Apr-17 19:24:33

MY DS are taller than me these days.

And one of them helped me hang some curtains today. Jolly useful chap to have around the place.

mimiasovitch Thu 06-Apr-17 20:04:08

Dd16 has a load of friends round, and they're all delightful, polite and just lovely. Also neither daughter is shy about hugging us or telling us they love us in front of their friends. She is also working really hard for her exams with no pressure from me and little to no whinging. I am terribly proud of her smile

innagazing Fri 07-Apr-17 12:31:37

teenagers do get such a bad press, so it's great to see them appreciated on this thread.

My 17year old has had her moments recently, but overall is a kind, generous, loving girl who is working extremely hard for her A'levels in a few months time. She's off to Uni to pursue what has up to now been her hobby and passion.

I'm incredibly proud of her for all these reasons.

OldSpringChicken Fri 07-Apr-17 13:34:57

What a lovely thread! Dd18 & ds16...They too have their moments but a few things that I love. Dd accompanies me to a certain gym class and we gossip about it afterwards. DS loves to join in kitchen singing and dancing. Both include me on their snap chat selfies from time to time. Ds lives to watch old 70s sitcom box sets with me. Both are tall enough to get things off high shelves for me ☺ They maybe annoying at home but outsiders are always keen to tell me what great kids I have 💜

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 07-Apr-17 13:55:32

I think parenting of teenagers is like the old "glass half full or glass half empty" thing.

I could be on here moaning about the messy bedrooms, lack of doing chores or having a job or lack of communication/affection, eating us out of house and home. But instead, I am extremely proud that they behave well, are polite, work hard at school, do their homework/study with no nagging. They have maintained some nice friendships, are pretty honest and even tempered and really give us no problems and never ask for anything in terms of money/stuff.

I love teenagers despite their flaws... grin

Kevinbaconsrealwife Fri 07-Apr-17 14:04:18

I very recently lost a good friend to cancer, it all happened very very quickly and blindsided me and all of her friends and family....my DSD is 19 and at uni and while being a totally wonderful person , definitely isn't the most emotional of girls, sent me the loveliest text about how lucky me and my late friend were to have had each other ...her exact words were " I bet it was a blessing to her that she knew you" ....gulp.... I,ll remember that the next time she's being self righteous grin

theredjellybean Fri 07-Apr-17 14:42:30

My DD1 was gorgeous teenager ( she is now adult) ..alwasy told me i was beautiful, or i looked really good, always thanked me for everything i did, babysat her sister with no complaints, was great company, made me laugh, never made me cry ( until she left home that is) and basically still says i am a cool mummy....her little sister has been pretty much the same, likes my company, polite, helpful and basically fun to hang out with...my DSDs are a bit more of a mixed bag but understandably i am not there mum, eldest has polite if reserved attitude and youngest is much more open, fun and generally nice to be with. I love teenagers

steppemum Fri 07-Apr-17 14:57:17

ds is 14. I sometimes go onto the teenage threads to moan, and when I see what a tough time some people are having I creep out quietly, as overall, ds is pretty good.

We have just had a French exchange student here for a week, it has been hard work all round (his English was rubbish, and ds French was only slightly less rubbish) but both ds and the French lad were lovely, tried hard, polite, considerate and generally nice lads.
(I fully expect ds to sleep all morning tomorrow and stick to the x-box and be a grump - he is allowed after working so hadr all wekk)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now