Talk

Advanced search

Leeds fest

(12 Posts)
Kanga1973 Thu 02-Mar-17 13:28:37

My DD has the chance to go to Leeds fest for the weekend with friends. Staying in a hotel rather than camping. DD will be 2 wks off turning 17. There will be an 'adult' but they are in their 20's and sister to my DD's friend. What are your thoughts please?

BigSandyBalls2015 Thu 02-Mar-17 14:50:41

Yes from me, sounds an ideal first festival at that age and with an adult, even if they are only early 20s and sister of a friend. Esp in a hotel.

My 16 year old wants to go to Reading this year, camping for 3 days, with other 16 year olds, after GCSEs. I'm really not happy with that at all.

daisygirlmac Thu 02-Mar-17 14:56:29

I took both my younger sisters to Leeds when they were 16 and they both brought a friend, I was 22. I went into full on Mum mode with the responsibility grin we had meeting points, I policed what they drank, reminded them about waterproofs and keeping feet clean, I made sure they ate properly and I generally fussed like a mother hen! She'll be fine, it's a great festival and this year is a brilliant line up eyes 3 week old DS and wonders if grandma will babysit while I go to Leeds fest

Kanga1973 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:35:26

It is a brilliant line up this year. We have been together twice before but only on a day ticket. I do worry a lot and my anxiety has been getting worse recently but I suppose it is just exactly that - my anxiety. Do you think asking her to text and 'check in' is a good idea?

daisygirlmac Thu 02-Mar-17 17:40:35

I don't see why checking in would be a problem, seems reasonable to me. Easier said than done but try not to worry too much, assuming she is even half sensible she will be fine.

Kanga1973 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:34:39

She is pretty sensible, more so than I give her credit for probably. As it's just been the two of us for so long it's hard to let go but I know I have to and let's face it she will be 18 before I know it and I should be grateful that she talks to me and has asked permission. smile

naffedoff Thu 02-Mar-17 19:47:42

My DS and all his friends went to Leeds for the first time last year, the day they got their GCSE results. They had a great time - didn't eat, sleep or wash - and then tipped up home filthy and exhausted on BH Monday. We live in Leeds and it's a rite of passage for 16 year olds around here.

DaphneDeLaFontaine Thu 02-Mar-17 19:49:35

All the 16yo go here after picking up their GCSE results.

GuiltyPleasure Thu 02-Mar-17 21:25:01

We live very close to where they hold Leeds. We can hear most of it from our garden, depending on wind direction! For all the kids around here it's a rite of passage post GCSEs. I think the staying in a hotel option sounds like a perfect way of doing it, because they'll appreciate being able to get away from the mud and have a decent shower & yes the odd text check-in is a good idea

LoveBeingAMum555 Thu 02-Mar-17 22:19:51

Oh dear I have said no to DS who is 16! I really thought he was too young but maybe not. Anyway he would have to find the money, it's not cheap.

Northernsoul58 Fri 03-Mar-17 09:02:46

Agree with Guilty, Leeds fest is a rite of passage after GCSE. Since there will be an older person with them, I'd allow your DS and friends to go. Make sure they have wellies and lots of plastic bags to put them in when they get to the hotel smile. Or better still, just get a tent and rough it with all the others.

Kanga1973 Fri 03-Mar-17 18:17:31

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies and really helpful comments. If she is happy to contribute to some of the cost than she can go. She will be over the moon when I get a chance to tell her. Thanks again everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now