Talk

Advanced search

New rule at dd high school a bit over the top?

(34 Posts)
amyt250190 Fri 24-Feb-17 23:31:18

So theres this new rule at my oldest's high school and its that even when its hot they arent allowed to take off their blazers- is this even allowed. Its not like many of them are wearing jumpers and can take them off but ive been there at parents evening and those buildings are way too hot anyway nevermind adding this rule. Who else thinks this rule is ridiculous?

Avioleta Fri 24-Feb-17 23:33:40

It's not particularly sensible but neither it is uncommon. Most secondary schools round here have the same stupid rule.

1bluesky1 Sat 25-Feb-17 03:21:33

Had a different but kind of similar rule when I was at primary school, you could take your jumper/blazer off, but you where not allowed to take your tie off, and got nagged if it wasn't primly and properly done up (this was only about 9-10 years ago). Fair enough for staying smart and when it was cold, but as 7-10 year old's, when running about outside in the playground during the hot summer months at about 25c it was quite annoying and uncomfortable.

Evergreen777 Sat 25-Feb-17 04:20:29

I think it's a stupid rule, and will hinder their learning of they're too hot. It's going to hinder them running around and keeping fit too.

But I'm intrigued to know where you are that hot weather is currently an issue!

BottomlyP0tts Sat 25-Feb-17 04:37:17

We were always allowed blazers off so long as tie was on and shirt was tucked in or if wearing the tie-less dress we had to have a crisp white shirt underneath.

Even that was too hot in the 30 degree summer days. We all eneded up hiding under the treas for most of lunch time

Florida41 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:35:15

Hi , my daughters school has the same rule , it's abit silly as last summer my daughter kept getting told off as it was so hot and some teachers insisted she kept her jacket on .

Stickerrocks Sat 25-Feb-17 17:15:09

Ours has the same rule for the school jumper. However, teachers are allowed to give permission for them to be taken off. They all seem to just accept it and get on with it. Not a problem.

ScrapThatThen Sat 25-Feb-17 17:17:43

Normal here, but I agree, stupid rule. Obsession with nit picking over uniform but poor response to bullying incidents. Leaves students anxious and downtrodden.

alltouchedout Sat 25-Feb-17 17:21:56

That's ridiculous. I would challenge it.

dementedma Sat 25-Feb-17 17:23:30

At ds's school most of them don't even wear blazers, DS being one of them. He says its impractical and hot. Mind you, I think schools up here (Scotland,) are much laxer on uniform than in England and most of the pupils at his school look downright scruffy.

Wolfiefan Sat 25-Feb-17 17:24:27

Are they allowed to take them off in class? Fine for moving around the school (mine would lose it otherwise!) but in class they should be allowed to take them off.
I have eczema. Wearing a blazer in the heat would make mine awful.

Lilaclily Sat 25-Feb-17 17:24:52

It's the same here

The thing is some teenagers never feel the cold, never wear coats gloves scarves etc in deepest winter so if they were allowed not to wear blazers whenever they liked they simply would never wear them

d270r0 Sat 25-Feb-17 17:24:59

School I went to had same rule. I always thought it was stupid and still do.

goose1964 Sat 25-Feb-17 17:37:29

Our school had an option for shirts, white or grey, if you wore a white blouse you weren't allowed to take your jumper off because the boys might be able to see your bra. Glad to see schools keeping up our children's morals

Sittinginthesun Sat 25-Feb-17 17:41:11

Blazers at ds's school. The individual teachers can give permission for them to be removed in lessons, but they have to be worn at all other times. Shirts tucked in, ties on showing the school crest, top buttons done up.

They are allowed short sleeves. Ds is fine with it.

Mehfruittea Sat 25-Feb-17 17:48:25

My last employer insisted men wear collared shirt and tie. HR to give permission only in extreme circumstances for relaxed approach on hot days.

This isn't that unusual.

PrincessHairyMclary Sat 25-Feb-17 17:51:08

Same rule at my school, blazers must be on to walk around the school building and then have to ask the teacher if they can take it off in lesson....I've yet to see a teacher not allow it.

Chillidawg Sat 25-Feb-17 17:52:44

We have the same rule at dd's secondary. We get a text at some point telling us that we've changed to 'summer uniform' therefore blazer is optional. However, there must always be a school badge on the student's outermost layer, so even our shirts (polo shirts) have the logo.

Rickandmorty Sat 25-Feb-17 17:52:49

My school had this rule and I found it bizarre. I once got hauled in front of the head because he had come into my classroom and most of the students had their blazers off. Fucking weird!!!

Notso Sat 25-Feb-17 18:08:23

It's ridiculous, it's sweatshirts not blazers at my kids school. They can only be taken off if an announcement is made over the tannoy. Don't know what they hope to achieve.
I hate school uniform.

PrincessHairyMclary Sat 25-Feb-17 22:45:42

Obviously the powers that be don't spend all day in a hot classroom in the summer months with 30 sweaty teenagers that have worn the same blazer without washing all week.

Cyclewidow46 Sun 26-Feb-17 10:06:12

Same rule at DSs secondary school. It's up to the individual class teacher to tell them they can take their blazers off if it's hot which they always do. Not a problem.

amyt250190 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:49:32

At her school they used to be allowed to if they asked for permission but they cant take it off at all. And for the person that was sayinng about the weather, its not so much the fact that its hot outside its the fact that all 4 school buildings are ridiculously overheated it must cost them a fortune on heating

Bensyster Mon 27-Feb-17 09:04:54

Same rule at dcs secondary - not even allowed to remove blazer when walking home on a hot summer's day - it's a stupid rule.

Astro55 Mon 27-Feb-17 09:10:35

I've worked in a secondary school and no child is ever shut the bloody door!! Heating full blast - school freezing! It's not as hot as you'd think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now