Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bullying - tragic story

(7 Posts)
FarAwayHills Thu 23-Feb-17 17:39:31

Just wanted to recommend that all parents of teens and teens using social media should watch the interview on This Morning today with the Mum of teenager Megan Evans who took her own life due to cyber bullying. Such a tragic story about the impact that words can have.

Apologies am struggling to find a link.

BifsWif Thu 23-Feb-17 19:14:41

I've watched it, it was heartbreaking.

I don't have teens yet, but cyber bullying terrifies me. How the hell do you protect your child from it, short of banning all social media and phones completely?

Missswatch Thu 23-Feb-17 20:21:52

How the hell do you protect your child from it, short of banning all social media and phones completely?

It starts with the parents. Plenty of bullying here on Mumsnet

BifsWif Thu 23-Feb-17 21:09:39

Sadly I agree, the comments I see from some adults on social media towards/about other people are disgusting.

yummumto3girls Thu 23-Feb-17 22:58:03

Heartbreaking! They had no idea she was being bullied, kids can be so cruel.

FarAwayHills Fri 24-Feb-17 08:14:38

It's incredibly difficult, after watching this part of me wants to ban social media altogether. My DM once described social media as opening the door and inviting bullies to come into your home. But as it's such a part of life today, in particular teen life, I am unsure if banning it altogether is the answer. This has reinforced my feelings about checking my teens phone, no phone at night time and to keep reminding my eye rolling teen to think before she posts and to be kind.

I had a chat with DD about this story this morning and she gave me the typical teen 'oh Mum they're always going on about this stuff at school'. They never think it will happen to them just like the Mum of Megan Evans never thought it would happen to her.

wishcarry Fri 24-Feb-17 08:24:13

I didn't see it.but sounds so sad.
I think bullies need to be dealt with harshly.they just seem to be able to get away with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now