Talk

Advanced search

Get out of my life book - has anyone tried the supervised homework suggestion?

(8 Posts)
HerbWoman Thu 16-Feb-17 17:50:55

Just that really. DS is in Yr 8 and almost never seems to have homework. Except he does, but doesn't do it, which we find out at parents' evening. He usually just says that he doesn't have any, or he hasn't got his book or some other excuse.

I am currently reading Get out of my life, but first take me and Alex into town, which suggests supervised homework sessions, even if they have to sit there staring out of the window for the duration. Has anyone tried doing this for any length of time, and how did you get on?

Thanks

thebakerwithboobs Thu 16-Feb-17 17:55:18

I haven't read that book so can't comment on that but as a wider answer, 'supervised' homework sessions can be great. This isn't so you can watch over the homework as a disciplinarian but so that you are available to help and support, bounce ideas from, make them a cup of tea or whatever so that homework becomes a 'doable' part of the day-by that I mean not unpleasant. Of course, all of that depends on you having the time to do it. In terms of knowing what homework there is, does he school not have a portal such as 'Show My Homework' to allow you to monitor what is being set?

Don't be too hard on your child. It's a huge transition from year six to year seven and again into year eight where things become more of a slog than the novelty they often are in year seven.

HerbWoman Thu 16-Feb-17 18:07:12

There is an online portal but I have found that most of the teachers don't use it. Every year the school gives out a new planner/journal which they are supposed to write homework in, but neither of my children have used it beyond year 7.

I think it's likely to be a big struggle to get him to sit down for even half an hour if he's adamant he has no homework, but I accepted DD's answer when she said the same (although school always said she did her homework, when I have no idea) and she is now on the verge of failing her A'levels because she has no study habits. I don't want to end up in the same situation with DS.

thebakerwithboobs Thu 16-Feb-17 18:17:27

If the portal is there, the teachers should use it. Quite apart from the fact that they are not free resources, the teachers cannot level criticism at your son's lack of industry and then not use the resources available to them and to you to support him. Speak to the school-his form tutor or head of year-to make sure they use the tool.

Bensyster Thu 16-Feb-17 18:19:46

I read that book and some of it made sense but I thought the supervised homework time was a recipe for disaster - upset, resentment and hellish behaviour from any child who does not wish to do homework.
Depends on your ds's reasons for not doing homework...do the school punish for forgetting? What does your ds hope to get out of school? Does he have other interests?

AChickenCalledKorma Fri 17-Feb-17 08:46:53

Have you discussed with the school how you can work with them to make sure he does have a record of what has been set, which you can access? The planner seems like the obvious thing. I am required to sign my kids' planners every week. They are required to have them every day and use them to record homework tasks and deadlines. If these things don't happen, there are sanctions at school.

Don't know about the supervised sessions - they wouldn't work in this house because my daughters' study habits are so different we couldn't all be doing homework at the same time without a fight.

HerbWoman Fri 17-Feb-17 17:59:09

Bensyster - they seem to give detentions when homework isn't done, but that doesn't bother DS. He doesn't like doing it because he prefers doing other things rather than because he finds it difficult.

Korma - they start off in Yr7 with parents and form tutor signing the planner each week, but it fizzles out rapidly. I've tried taking it up with school before, but nothing really happens. I think I'll have to try again, although tbh I don't hold out much hope.

The supervised sessions I can see turning into massive arguments, but I wondered if anyone had tried it successfully.

woodlands01 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:36:42

Your school seems to be lax on homework and following it up which is why your DS isn't doing it - he probably gets away with it 80% of the time.

I think you need to find a way to tighten up the homework situation with the school. Yes they should use the portal, yes your son should write homework in his planner and detentions set for homework should also be written in his planner so you know. If I found out that my child was not doing homework at parents evening I would be livid (I am a parent and a secondary school teacher!). You should know before there is a problem so you can support the school in sorting it out. Knowing at parents evening half way or more through an academic year is really not acceptable.

It maybe that taking any of these issues up becomes a battle - it depends on your secondary school but maybe you could be pro-active and suggest he goes on homework report? Many school do this - he would have a card that he must present in every lesson where the teacher will record any homework being set or any previous homework being completed - normally accompanied by some type of grade for quality. This is normally signed by a head of year/house each day and also shown to the parents each day so you have complete visibility of what has been set, what has been done and more importantly what has not.

I am very strict on homework with my children - if its not done then they can not lock themselves in their bedrooms doing whatever they choose to do. So they just get on with it, it's not actually a battle. You may have a battle on your hands initially but in year 8 I do think it is a battle worth fighting, you do not want a GCSE child in year 10/11 not doing homework, controlled assessment preparation and revision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now