Talk

Advanced search

Why won't my 15 year old stop eating?

(20 Posts)
singingdeborah Thu 16-Feb-17 16:03:23

Hi, new mum to mumsnet here.

I'm a mother to teenage twin girls, and one of my daughters will not stop eating. I'm not exaggerating! We can't bring any new food into the house without her discovering it within the hour, she's almost always rummaging through the pantry or fridge, she's spending lots of her money on unhealthy food, and often even has extra meals between the ones we give her.

She's always munching on something, usually junk food, and I'm beginning to feel concerned. Bryony is not at all fat, in fact she's been weighed and she's borderline underweight. I have spoken to her about how much she eats, and she acknowledges her diet, but told me that she can't stop.

What should I do?

NoCapes Thu 16-Feb-17 16:06:29

This is very very identifying with both of yours and your daughters names, I would report and ask them to be changed tbh

SpongebobRoundPants Thu 16-Feb-17 16:14:32

Why have you included their names?

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 16-Feb-17 16:18:02

Stop putting your daughters name all over the Internet in reference to her eating behaviours for a start. I don't want to post a proper reply until her name is removed just incase. Teenage girls and eating are difficult enough subjects without the fact she might find this thread herself.

SecondsLeft Thu 16-Feb-17 16:40:21

OK, number 1, you must take her to the GP to get blood tests done or referral to see paediatrician to see if there is an underlying medical cause. Number 2, is it possible she is bingeing and vomiting? I think the latter is unlikely, as she would be unlikely to be underweight still (unless she has been significantly restricting her eating first, and has now started bingeing, which is common).

SecondsLeft Thu 16-Feb-17 16:41:31

Good luck, I hope you get to the root of it. Mumsnet will remove the names if you click on report.

LimpidPools Thu 16-Feb-17 16:44:19

She's a teenager, she's not getting fat... She's growing!

Girls/women are allowed to eat, just like men and boys are.

Now get MN HQ to edit her name out of your post ASAP and for goodness sake, don't give her a complex over it.

Try to make certain she doesn't have an eating disorder and then up her portions of healthy food.

awindup Thu 16-Feb-17 17:05:54

Omg... firstly can I just say whilst it is appropriate to practice not giving too much information to identify yourself I have to say the paranoia has gotten in the way I'm helping somebody simply because you want to berate them for writing the name of the child concerned rather than help! Well done to all of you... Deborah, I have a 17 year old son who is as fit as a fiddle. He has a six pack he has muscles but he is very slim and eats like a gannet! He will literally have 5 or 6 plates of food most evenings. And when I say plate I mean not just a snack but an actual meal! As for him being healthy well his physique speak for itself and I wouldn't worry about the appetite your daughter has. I do believe that is normal for most teenagers. However if your daughter is borderline underweight then there are various factors at play that are different with girls than boys mainly puberty. I would not rule out bulimia or an eating disorder but I would also not worry that much I would rather monitor the situation than panic. I do hope that if there is something and your daughter is agreeable then maybe a visit to the doctor or therapist would resolve your concerns but remember there is a point at which worry becomes unhelpful x. My mum had 8 children and I remember regularly hearing the phrase "I think he's got worms" aimed at my brothers and myself as we grew up.

abbsisspartacus Thu 16-Feb-17 17:07:56

Don't buy junk food she can't eat it then

toffeeboffin Thu 16-Feb-17 17:11:23

What should you do? confused

NoCapes Thu 16-Feb-17 17:13:15

OP how much food are we talking?
Could you give us an average day?

awindup Thu 16-Feb-17 17:15:27

Sorry I was dictating because of my disability... anyway it should say "gotten in the way of helping"

Heirhelp Thu 16-Feb-17 17:29:09

Your daughter is boarderline under weight of course she should be eating. If you think she is eating too much, how much? Then you need to take her to the doctors.

JustDanceAddict Thu 16-Feb-17 17:48:29

Buy healthy filling food instead of junk food which doesn't give long-lasting satiety. I have an underweight DS who has had the requisite bloods and he is fine - I give him nuts, milk, cheese, yoghurt, meat to fill up. He has some junk too but not excessive.

singingdeborah Thu 16-Feb-17 19:08:40

Hi, first off I didn't realise it was such a big issue to reveal your names on this site. I am new to this site, and I don't really see how just giving her name can cause harm, there are millions of children named Bryony!

I will monitor if she goes to vomit or something, but I doubt it somehow.

Thank you to all who are giving helpful advice

singingdeborah Thu 16-Feb-17 19:12:23

Also, our whole family has been on a diet, but she buys junk food with her own money, any idea on how I can stop her doing that? I don't want to take away her money, as she's a teenager and she earns a lot of it, but she knows it is a waste.

awindup Thu 16-Feb-17 19:13:02

X

NoCapes Thu 16-Feb-17 20:13:50

Why is she on a diet if she isn't overweight??

singingdeborah Thu 16-Feb-17 20:57:19

Not really a diet as suppose, more of a healthy eating regime after Christmas, as me and husband felt it'd do us all good to eat well after the big pig out on Xmas

SecondsLeft Fri 17-Feb-17 09:55:42

Seriously, if there is no obvious reason, and no weight gain, take her to the doctors. (Just checking - is it actually a really large amount of food, or is it just a teenage appetite, and 'seems' too much because you are dieting?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now