Talk

Advanced search

DD 14 is self-harming, having panic attacks but won`t talk to me. what can I do?

(2 Posts)
Tamsworth17 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:51:51

I feel so sad, helpless, desperate even. DD has had a hard year, she started being physically violent to us about a year ago. She went to therapy and the violence stopped. But the communication has all but disappeared between us.

Just before Christmas we found out she was self harming . It wasn`t obvious at first because she was bruising herself, she didn`t explain to school and school informed social services.

Anyway, it`s now clear it`s self harm as she is cutting herself. She has also been put on ADs. But she won´t talk to us (DH and I) about anything. We have tried to open up lines of communication but they all get shut down.

This morning she had a panic attack at school, was taken to hospital by teacher (she refused to let me pick her up and take her to the hospital). I met them at the hospital where she really didn´t want to talk to me, asked me to leave so she could talk to the teacher. I felt dismissed. She´s now gone to a friend`s house - dr said it was fine and probably best way for her to recover.

I feel so cut out and helpless. And scared of where this will all end. I don`t know what to do, or if we are the right ones to be caring for her at this point. I don´t know how to support her - when all my attempts are rejected.

I don`t know what to do with my jumbled up feelings of rejection, hurt, sadness.

Stopmakingsense Fri 17-Feb-17 21:19:41

That sounds awful for you. Can you get any help - for you to help you through this time, and also for someone to help you with the best approach? Maybe a psychologist who has experience with adolescents?
Wishing you all the best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now