Talk

Advanced search

Dd, girlfriend & sleepover ..

(8 Posts)
turtleinthesky Wed 15-Feb-17 23:49:57

Dd , just 15, recently told us she was dating a girl , bit of a surprise but got our heads round that . Now she is mad that we won't agree to a sleepover with girlfriend ( 14, nearly 15) , she can't see what I'm worried about happening , sees it just the same as a sleepover with other female friends. But we wouldn't agree if it was a boyfriend at this age so I don't see why we would treat it differently . I explained that I didn't think they shouldn't be a situation they may not be emotionally ready for, I am right aren't I ? She makes me sound so unreasonable !!

BitOfFun Wed 15-Feb-17 23:50:43

Of course you are right.

Rainbowqueeen Wed 15-Feb-17 23:51:08

Stick to your guns

turtleinthesky Wed 15-Feb-17 23:53:11

Phew .. they do manage to make you feel like you're completely mad sometimes 😁

TyneTeas Thu 16-Feb-17 00:09:45

I don't disagree at all but I'd perhaps also be considering how I might handle future sleepover requests too, because unless you intend to stop all sleepovers (which would quite harsh), the easy workaround for a determined 15year old would just be to not announce any future girlfriend as a girlfriend to access sleepover opportunity

BitOfFun Thu 16-Feb-17 01:02:51

Sleepovers aren't necessarily a feature of later teenage life- I did the odd one for my eldest before secondary school, but I don't remember any after that. There might be the odd night after a big event that a group of them might stay at somebody's house, but I can't really think why you'd need just one pal staying over. I'd put the kibosh on them altogether, to be honest. You don't have to announce the new policy: just make it so that they don't happen.

misshelena Thu 16-Feb-17 03:32:11

You are right. I would just say no to all one-pal sleepovers of either sex.

turtleinthesky Thu 16-Feb-17 18:32:39

Thank you, she does still do sleepovers , seems to be her thing more than parties ! I had thought of the possibility she may not tell me on the future if a friend is a girlfriend ... will have to cross that bridge when I come to it !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now