Talk

Advanced search

Step dss struggling in new sixth form.

(10 Posts)
Edward19 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:16:11

My dss started at a different school for year 12 and has been struggling making new friends at the school.

My two teens are in the same school and my ds in the same year as him. Dss choose this school and it is probably the best school in our area results wise.

The trouble is the school my dss came from is very inner city and a very different environment when it comes to the strictness and social mix. It was a faith school and was very relaxed about things such as being late.

This new school is very different it is more suburban and more strict. But it also has a very distinctive community and has great ethos.

My ds who is established at the school has said he sees dss on the outside of a group but not speaking to anyone in the group for a long period of time.

This was the opposite at the other school where dss had many friends and a solid group of friends he is still in touch with.

Edward19 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:45:27

Anyone

Millipedewithherfeetup Mon 06-Feb-17 20:50:04

Have all his friends stayed on for 6th form in old school ?

Ilovecaindingle Mon 06-Feb-17 20:50:34

How long has he been there? My 2x ds have just transfered from a faith school to community school. One in November who has a couple of friends - only 1 he sees out of school (yr11) and a year 8 who only joined a month ago and just had a 'party' invite today after not really buddying up with anyone. It does take time - the HOY told them to choose their friends slowly and wisely so your ds is doing just that. One of mine has requested joining a sports team - maybe an option for your ds?

Edward19 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:58:18

Have all his friends stayed on for 6th form in old school ?

Some have and some have gone to other schools.

user1471516223 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:24:37

My son moved to a new sixth form in year 12 and was shocked at how difficult it has been to break into established friendship groups. He has made some new friends but it has taken time and he is usually a very sociable lad. He complained that the other students just weren't interested in making new friends but four months on it's a lot better so hopefully things will improve for your dss too.

loinnir Mon 06-Feb-17 22:32:29

Can your DS help him out a little at break/lunch - call him over to sit with his mates etc just to get him started ? since they are in the same year

Millipedewithherfeetup Mon 06-Feb-17 23:05:44

My dd was in a similar position, went to a 6th firm college in another town, she was very bright and this place had amazing reputation etc., most students went on to Oxford/cambridge etc., but.... she hated it, most if not all of her friends stayed in same school 6th form, she was incredibly lonely and her grades were slipping, she basically did not want to be there. We decided she was better off being happy, and she went back after tge xmas break, t
Her okd school said she would have to work incredibly hard to catch up as tge couses were different (different exam boards), anyway to cut a long story short, she went back, was happy, motivated and keen to do well, she got very goid A level results and got her 1st chiuce uni russell group. I honestly think it would of been a completely different outcome if she had not moved back.

Millipedewithherfeetup Mon 06-Feb-17 23:07:16

blush sorry about alk the typos! Pressed post too soon blush

Edward19 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:59:27

Can your DS help him out a little at break/lunch - call him over to sit with his mates etc just to get him started ? since they are in the same year

I have directed ds to do this but dss doesn't seem to want to join ds group of friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now