Talk

Advanced search

Teenagers Friends : responsibilities

(13 Posts)
Eternal04 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:28:49

Had my 15yr old sons friend over tonight, was supposed to stay over but went to see his gf. My son confided in me that this is where he was going, should i txt the parents and let them know is he not at my house? Betraying my sons confidence... but worried at the same time?

traviata Sat 04-Feb-17 00:01:48

what is it about the situation that makes you worried?

NotYoda Sat 04-Feb-17 00:02:55

I would text them. They think he's at yours and he's not.

tribpot Sat 04-Feb-17 00:04:28

I think you'd want to know if your ds was supposed to be at a sleepover but wasn't? Is it betraying a confidence? Did the parents know he was coming for a sleepover?

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 04-Feb-17 00:11:25

Yes, you should call/text them. I would be livid if I thought my son's friend's parents had turned a blind eye.

BigSandyBalls2015 Sat 04-Feb-17 09:56:32

Yes at 15 I would let them know that he didn't spend the night at yours. How well do you know the parents? You don't need to drop your son in it, just a text.

lljkk Sat 04-Feb-17 09:59:26

Sounds like OP would never have known about the subterfuge if her boy hadn't told her; the lie is between the other teen & his parents. I'd keep out of that if it were me... but tell my son I don't want to be caught up in someone's lies in future.

I'd also be talking to my own kid about birth control.

CointreauVersial Sat 04-Feb-17 10:01:27

At 17, I wouldn't worry. At 15 hmmm...... Did you have contact with his parents about him staying?

Floggingmolly Sat 04-Feb-17 10:04:30

I'd want to know. And I'd be furious if I found out you didn't bother to tell me.

Evergreen777 Sat 04-Feb-17 13:06:56

I think I wouldn't tbh. If they phoned you, I wouldn't lie to them. But I think that telling them now would do huge damage to your relationship with your DS, as he won't tell you things again.

misshelena Sat 04-Feb-17 14:19:42

Yes, text his parents and ask them to make up another reason for their finding out about this. But be honest with DS and explain to him why you had to tell friend's mom.

Eternal04 Sat 04-Feb-17 22:23:12

Thanks everyone for the advice. I txted the friend to make sure he was ok which he was and told my son that I won't be put in that situation again and that I will tell the parents if it does. Thanks 😊

Sparklingbrook Sat 04-Feb-17 22:27:22

I think you handled that perfectly Eternal. I may have also have added in the text 'make sure your parents know where you are'. Jut so he knows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now