Talk

Advanced search

Driving lessons questions

(11 Posts)
Redfluffysocks Mon 30-Jan-17 07:05:00

Dd has arranged driving lessons to start in a week or so with an instructor recommended by someone she knows. He only seems to do 2 hour lessons though and I'm just curious as to whether this is the norm these days (dd tells me is is). She will be having 1 two hour lesson a week to start with and no other practice in between as I'm too nervous to take her out myself tbh.
Is it reasonable for her to have the one double lesson per week until she becomes competent and ready for her test, then just have one double lesson per fortnight to keep her ticking over till her test date? Then maybe extra lessons just before the test?
Is this a good idea? It's going to cost a fortune anyway but I'd like to keep costs down if I can.

ExcellentWorkThereMary Mon 30-Jan-17 07:10:01

I'm having driving lessons and my lessons are 50minutes long. My last instructor did one hour lessons.
I'm worried about the practise in between too, I don't have anyone to take me out but it gets crazy expensive having more than one lesson a week!

LillyLollyLandy Mon 30-Jan-17 07:19:00

If she's not getting any practice in between lessons then no, I wouldn't drop her down to fortnightly lessons. She needs to be driving regularly

blueskyinmarch Mon 30-Jan-17 07:22:19

My DD did a 2 hour lesson pretty much every week and passed 6 months after she started learning. She wasn't taken out in between as she found our car much too different to drive compared to her instructors car.

Crumbs1 Mon 30-Jan-17 07:24:05

Ours all,did 2 hours twice a week - except the two who can't drive.

Eastpoint Mon 30-Jan-17 07:35:05

My daughter's instructor only does 2 hour lessons. We live in London and it took time to get to where she'd be taking the test. She had lessons when they fitted in around her other commitments, went for a 3 week stretch with no lessons at one point but had still learned in 4 months (went out with me everyday in the Christmas holidays for at least an hour).

Purplecarpet Mon 30-Jan-17 07:35:46

When I learned to drive, 30 odd years ago, I only had one hour lesson per week and no practice in between. Hated every minute of it and passed 3rd time. Maybe if I'd had more lessons I'd have passed sooner.
I've heard that one hour is not enough for a lesson but that two hours is a bit too long. Ds tells me that a 2 hour lesson is usual so I'd be interested to hear other views.

Ohtobeskiing Mon 30-Jan-17 15:32:36

My dd recently passed her test and had weekly 90minute lessons.

I told both my dc that they had to pass their theory test before I would insure them to drive my car for practice purposes.

Redfluffysocks Mon 30-Jan-17 18:28:40

Well I've been told that most driving schools only do 2 hour lessons these days. Not sure if that's true but its probably easier and more profitable for them to do 2 hours. Dh thinks dd would be better off with 2 one hour lessons per week but she would probably struggle to fit them in what with work and her hectic social life.

Icequeen01 Mon 30-Jan-17 18:37:16

My DS (17) is currently learning and at first he was having 2 hour lessons. I posted on here a couple of weeks ago as DS is really not enjoying learning to drive! I think he found 2 hours of solid driving too much and used to come home mentally exhausted - he's definitely not a natural' driver 😀 We dropped his lessons down to an hour per week and he's much happier. He now has a little car of his own and my DH takes him out a couple of times per week to give him some more practise.

swingofthings Wed 01-Feb-17 10:41:17

DD started driving lessons with someone I found online, no recommendations but was impressed with website and then speaking on the phone.

His normal approach is to do 3 1 hour lessons at £10 before moving on to 'proper lessons' which can be either 1 or 2 hours long, although he recommends two hours.

DD has had two 1 hour lessons, but as she is confident and competent, she has already been on the roads in town, managing roundabouts, so really getting good value for money! She gets along great with the instructor which I think is essential. It will be one lesson per week (mainly due to full calendar and I think instructors find it easier to manage this way).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now