Talk

Advanced search

Uni offers - advice and / views please

(10 Posts)
ginorwine Sat 28-Jan-17 17:51:43

Dd has just got unconditional
Offer for York St. John's . Her preferred choice is york uni itself as it is very highly ranked for her subject .
However , the grades for York are a bb - and whilst she is predicted to get those grades if she has a bad night before hand or has a blip in the exam ( she miss read questionsin a mock once and her grade was c - predicted a )
I believe that she could go for york as first choice ( and lose unconditiknalmoffer ) and put St. John s as second ( it's points for this one ) but then she wd lose the unconditional option .T o take unconditional offer she has to put it first as it's a condition of the offer .
Any advice or experience . ? She wants to go to uni in york .

Leeds2 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:15:38

What grades would she have to get to meet the points offered by St John's, if she didn't put them as her first choice?

And what grades was she predicted by her school in her UCAS application?

Timetogetup0630 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:17:32

What subject ?

ginorwine Sat 28-Jan-17 22:03:35

Criminology
I think 120 points but that a total guess as dd out and I can't access e mail .

ginorwine Sat 28-Jan-17 22:04:00

Grades a b b
Predicted

ginorwine Sat 28-Jan-17 22:06:20

I.e. Predicted grades are higher than the points for st johns
However she can be a bit of a wild card
She was predicted a for mock sociology and got a c
Predicted b for psychology and got a for example .

Confutatis Sun 29-Jan-17 03:49:56

I think she should consider which course she like best and which place would better set her up when she graduates. I suspect she may prefer the look of York uni, which is why you are asking so my advice would be to stick with the conditional offer from there and use St. John's as the back up option. It should keep her motivated.

marialuisa Sun 29-Jan-17 07:35:01

Criminology for York St John will almost definitely have places in clearing if she misses her grades. I'd hazard a guess that Criminology at York would still take her if she got BBB.

ginorwine Sun 29-Jan-17 10:11:58

Thanks
The course at york is fab so she has decided to try fir it !

TheEdgeofSeventeen Tue 07-Feb-17 22:26:23

YORK YORK YORK. St Johns is a good Uni but if she's predicted the grades for the ( much more highly thought of ) York then why set her dreams low?? She could get in York in clearing if she gets a bit lower anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now