Talk

Advanced search

National Youth Theatre

(11 Posts)
ArabellaRockerfella Sat 28-Jan-17 13:47:01

My dd has entered herself for an audition next month with NYT. She is doing this off her own back and teachers at school are not offering any help.
Does anyone have any tips? Where to look for good monologue pieces 3/4mins?
Any help would be much appreciated.

LIZS Sat 28-Jan-17 13:48:36

Does she take lamda exams? They do an anthology of pieces.

ArabellaRockerfella Sat 28-Jan-17 13:56:57

No she doesn't.
Is that something a non-member can access?

ArabellaRockerfella Sat 28-Jan-17 13:57:30

By the way thanks LIZS

LIZS Sat 28-Jan-17 13:57:57

I think you may have to buy it unless school has a copy.

corythatwas Mon 30-Jan-17 09:17:16

Dd has done auditions for all sorts of place including the NYT and has just had a couple of offers for drama school (one of which she intends to take up). From what I understand pretty much the same rules apply everywhere:

*Go for something that you could realistically be cast to play- so a character roughly your own age and your own type.

*Try to find a character you can identify with rather than something you think will go down well with the panel.

*Always, always, always read the whole play (so if you buy a book of monologues, source the play for your chosen monologue as well).

*Try to avoid the shouty, ranty and macabre (panels get awfully fed up with murdered babies).

*Try to avoid anything that might conceivably embarrass the panel or seem aimed at a panel member. In one of her first auditions dd did the speech from de Angelis' Jumpy where the girl rants at her mother and ends with the words "I hope you never get laid again; besides, you are too old! TOO OLD!" and apparently one of the panel members, a middle-aged balding man, looked at her and muttered "happens to us all, you know". That interview did not go well.

*Have a good time- most auditions are a good day out, and NYT according to dd are very friendly and make you feel at home.

GetAHaircutCarl Mon 30-Jan-17 11:25:44

On the RADA website, the 2016 graduates all have a profile including audio files of three monologues each.

Some nice stuff there.

Dancergirl Mon 30-Jan-17 13:44:01

OP, I posted a very similar question recently on the Extra curricular board. Some very good tips on there.

Good luck to your dd. Mine had her audition last weekend and really enjoyed the experience.

ArabellaRockerfella Mon 30-Jan-17 17:37:13

Great thanks for taking the time to reply. Very helpful stuff x

GinIsIn Mon 30-Jan-17 17:56:06

cory has some really good advice. Is it just the one monologue she needs? Lots of auditions ask for 2, in which case they need to be contrasting pieces eg. one Shakespearean tragedy, one modern comedy.

GetAHaircutCarl Mon 30-Jan-17 20:09:11

NYT asks for just one. And it can be from any tradition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now