Talk

Advanced search

Advice...nearly 15yo DD anxiety/off school

(4 Posts)
homerboy12 Tue 24-Jan-17 15:05:33

Hi
So she had a troubled year last year and missed Spring term, had cbt for emetophobia and sep anxiety (also low meds) - returned to School mid June then again Sept 16, but due to friend groups not inviting her to things and general feeling of isolation at school she has not been back since Dec.
We are now considering GCSE home schooling but I am worried about the isolation this will bring. I have to work part time and can not be there 24/7. Her independence has increased and she has made major strides at home and with the sep anxiety. I no longer have a limpet. But she feels lonely and spends her life on the ipad/youtube/netflix. As this 'makes her happy', along with her dogs and part time pony. Without these the last year I really cant imagine where we would be.
Why is having a teenager so hard to manage these days? Social media is relentless and causes such feelings of upset and inadequacy amongst them now as a barrier.
I feel that maybe taking her out of school and trying to get her to learn at home may help with her achieving college entry next year but still worried about the isolation.
?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 24-Jan-17 23:05:09

Can the school not arrange for her to do some classes at the local college? (This is often a tactic for school refusers her age where I am.)

I agree that social media can be really harmful if your children aren't feeling in the loop but I think that the best thing for your DD is to strike out somewhere else and meet some new people and realise that she isn't the social pariah that she thinks she is.

Whether that be a creative writing class at night, pony camp in summer or whatnot. Whatever you can afford to broaden her horizons would be worth it in my opinion.

Short term, I am really quite against home schooling as I don't think it's a good long term solution. However if she's very structured/driven then you could probably get through it. I'm not sure how this would work with your job though?

Speak to the school re: further education places first.

homerboy12 Wed 25-Jan-17 12:48:20

Yes now looking to school for more help as a first instance. Also CBT and meds to help increase her positivity and strength to try and get back into school environment.
I think the home schooling is not the right option at present either, too big a decision and perhaps not right frame of mind to commit. I am worried about the isolation of this too.
Thanks

Trying2bgd Wed 25-Jan-17 18:19:15

Do some serious research into home schooling, there are support networks who meet on a regular basis to get kids to mix with each other and join together for outings and sport. They might also be able to direct you to good online courses. Home schooling doesn't need to result in isolation but requires real organisation and commitment from both of you. I once had a friend who chose to home school all her children and it certainly didn't seem like an easy option but she was very positive about it. The school may also be open to a reduced timetable. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now