Talk

Advanced search

Damaged phone at school

(19 Posts)
rachel38 Fri 20-Jan-17 17:06:58

Hi, my ds has come home from secondary school this evening with a smashed screen on his phone. His phone has to remain in his bag all day - shcool rules - and he assures me that he did not drop it. I'm not being suckered in by a lie and am sure that he is telling the truth. His bag is left by the entrance to the lunch hall with others and he seems pretty certain that someone kicked his bag, therefore breaking the phone. Unfortunately for him, he's having some trouble with another child - today he tripped and pushed ds leaving a bruise and lump on his head. This is not the first time. My ds is not claiming that this boy kicked his bag, though he has seen him do it before along with some others. What (if anything) can I expect of the school? I'm guessing that it'll be a talk about respecting other people's property, not sure what else they can do. Any thought/ ideas greatly welcomed.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 20-Jan-17 17:13:21

Sorry if this comes across as blunt but you can expect the school to do nothing. Your DS takes the phone in at his own risk. He knows what the rules are and so he knows it needs to stay in his bag. He should make sure it is in a solid case and in a part of a bag where it is less likely to get damaged.

PolterGoose Fri 20-Jan-17 17:13:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rachel38 Fri 20-Jan-17 17:25:14

The phone was in his bag all day and in a case intended to protect it. Do you not think that perhaps they shouldn't be kicking bags anyway? His glasses are usually in there too, though, thankfully, not today or they would also have been broken.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 20-Jan-17 17:27:40

Seriously?!

He takes it to school at his own risk, the school has absolutely no responsibility for this.

If he can't afford to lose it, he shouldn't take it.

LIZS Fri 20-Jan-17 17:29:03

Phones are taken into school at own risk. What is the school's policy on use in school? Dc's is they leave in lockers unless in 6th form. Would he even admit he might have dropped or mishandled it?

Wolfiefan Fri 20-Jan-17 17:30:55

He didn't see anyone kick his bag?
So he's guessing?
You can't expect school to do anything I'm afraid. Don't they have lockers he can secure his phone in? Surely it's a theft risk leaving bags and valuables lying about?

VintagePerfumista Fri 20-Jan-17 17:37:18

A kick would be unlikely to smash a screen. It might stop a phone from working, dislodge a battery, or dent the casing.

Unless it was a kick done with a winklepicker and directly onto the phone, I can't see it having been done by a shoe.

I'd be doing a very big chinny-reckon if dd, or any of my students at school came out with that one tbh.

But no, of course school won't do anything or have any responsibility. Why on earth would they?

VintagePerfumista Fri 20-Jan-17 17:38:01

You should however be speaking to school about the bullying.

MirandaWest Fri 20-Jan-17 17:40:31

Do you have insurance? This is the time to use it.

SleepingCitySidewalk Fri 20-Jan-17 17:42:59

I would be more concerned about your Ds being tripped and having a lump on his head tbh hmm

If he takes a phone, could he not sew a pocket on the inside of his blazer/jumper and keep it in there turned off? An unattended phone is just asking to be nicked or damaged.

I tend to take their view that once they are at secondary, contact should only be made by parents for serious stuff that a DC cannot handle. Bullying, serious home issues, SEN issues etc. It's not primary school. Please don't ring and moan that your DS left a phone unattended in a bag and it got broken!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 20-Jan-17 17:48:14

I would address the physical intimidation first. Was DS more upset at the phone being broken or the other lad shoving him? How long has there been this ill-will? Has he told a teacher? Did anyone else witness the other child shove/push?

rachel38 Fri 20-Jan-17 17:59:44

Sleepycity, I'm very concerned about the bullying and that this, potentially, is part, though unproven, part of it. He cannot sew a secret pocket as this would be against school rules. I'm also not intending to take up teachers valuable time - I'm one myself, just, perhaps naively, hoped some-one else may have had a similar experience and be able to offer some advice on what they have done in a similar situation. My son has ASD and needs his bag with him and I guess I'm basically worried that this is an upscaling of previous incidents. On the plus side, it's Friday!

Chewbecca Fri 20-Jan-17 19:48:33

DS's school consistently tells us not to bring expensive phones to school and that they cannot accept any responsibility for them so I don't think there's anything to be gained spending time discussing that.

The behaviour & potential bullying though definitely needs dealing with, I'd keep focussed on that.

specialsubject Fri 20-Jan-17 19:56:17

The bullying is the main issue, get on the case of that!!

There is no point taking a big fragile expensive phone to school when he isn't allowed to use it! If he needs contact, buy a £10 call and text job. Only needs charging weekly, far less aggro.

User006point5 Fri 20-Jan-17 22:40:36

Re phones in school bags, rather than the bullying issue, my DD cracked her screen this way. This wasn't because she dropped it, but she thinks because a heavy book sadly must have banged the screen awkwardly when she was carrying it. So that might have happened with your son's phone.

SleepingCitySidewalk Sat 21-Jan-17 08:34:28

Well in practical terms, can a recommend a Griffin or Otterbox case for the phone? Pricey but withstand my DCs' treatment of their phones. Although as PP said, a better alternative is a £10 brick. I'd also make sure he has a passcode set up so it can't be accessed if nicked.

Sorry about the bullying, it's hard, especially with SN involved. Hope you get it sorted. Is the SENCO good, I've found them a good way of getting info to all the teachers which can be an issue at high school. Fingers crossed for you and your DS.

swingofthings Sat 21-Jan-17 15:27:20

Maybe it got broken as he dropped -threw- the bag a bit too hardously. Maybe it got kicked because he dropped - threw- it not out of the way. Maybe, someone stepped on it and almost fell. Maybe, maybe, maybe. Nothing you can do to disprove all those maybes.

corythatwas Mon 23-Jan-17 12:27:32

Was the bag left on the floor of the corridor/entrance? Or in a safe place? If the former, then I don't see how he could expect it to be safe there: anyone could trip and tread on it by accident. Both mine have broken screens in far less hazardous ways than that.

Address any bullying that can be proven to be bullying. But only that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now