Talk

Advanced search

GCSE revision

(12 Posts)
Violetcharlotte Wed 11-Jan-17 21:15:57

Hello. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm looking for some advice please on how to get through to a teen who is convinced he's going to fail his GCSEs so doesn't see the point in trying.

I've just come back from parents evening and the overwhelming feedback is that he's lazy. This is no surprise to me as he did appallingly in his mocks, but I just can't seem to make him realise how important it is.

I've just tried to talk to him and get him commit to, at a minimum, doing his homework in time and an hour of maths, English and Science revision a week. He got really angry and upset, blames the school, according to him it's everybody else's fault, not his, as the school hasn't taught him what he needs to know.

The school have been pretty shocking, they received a notice to improve last year and can't seem to keep teachers. However I need him to realise that ultimately it's down to him.

If anybody has been in a similar situation and can offer any advice is be really grateful. Thank you.

Oscha Wed 11-Jan-17 21:28:35

I'm a tutor (English) and quite often do 'how to revise' sessions with students who don't want regular tuition but just need a bit of help in learning how to learn, if that makes sense. Maybe a couple of hours with someone who could show him how to approach revising different subjects would help him feel more confident?

sparkler10 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:33:16

Watching with interest, my DS is the same and is now saying he won't even sit his exams because there's no point! I'm hoping that the upcoming college open evening might pique his interest enough to at least concentrate on the minimum that he needs, but he's even saying he doesn't see the point in college so I'm not convinced we'll get him to go! Good luck!

Violetcharlotte Wed 11-Jan-17 21:54:25

Oscha thank you, that's a good suggestion. Just so much money confusedI will look into it though, as you say, maybe just a few sessions could help

Sparkler it's soooo frustrating isn't it!? The thing is, he's not naughty or disruptive at school or home, just really, really lazy and not motivated. He wants to go to college but I can't seem to get him to understand that ultimately it's all down to him!!

TeenAndTween Thu 12-Jan-17 09:29:45

There are various threads on the Secondary Education board covering this topic which may be helpful.

t875 Fri 13-Jan-17 09:05:05

OP whats the situation of his subjects is he projected passes on any of the subjects?

Violetcharlotte Fri 13-Jan-17 09:50:03

He's doing ok in English and predicted a 4/5 (which is the new equivalent of a C). He should get a merit in BTEC sport (he wants to go sport at college), but he got U's in his mocks for geography, science and maths. Maths and Science teaching has been appalling with a constant turnover of teachers.

The new head is trying to do what he can to turn the school round and I have a meeting with him next week to put an action plan together. However I really need my DS to realise that, how ever much the school may be at fault, ultimately it's his future so the effort needs them come from him. He just seems to have given up!

TeenAndTween Fri 13-Jan-17 10:14:01

Does he know what he needs to go on to his college course?
He needs to go all out to achieve that.
I'm guessing it is something like 5 at C or above plus passing maths and/or English at a 4 or 5?

You may want to consider cutting 1 or 2 subjects loose to focus on ones that are more achievable. e.g. If he doesn't like Geography, it has loads of revision needed, and it isn't needed for college, maybe not bother with it in order to focus more on the science, maths and English. (Even if school won't let him drop something you could agree he's just not going to revise for it).

If you can make it seem achievable, he may be more inspired to work?

t875 Fri 13-Jan-17 11:22:49

Yeah i would maybe think about getting him tuition, my dd does online my tutor tuition which has made a huge difference to her maths and her confidence in it, i would poss drop Geography, get him to concentrate a bit more on the main ones science, english (which sounds like he doing great at and will do well with.

I keep telling dd focas on the positives of whats going right, as she gets times of feeling over whelmed, im sure so many feel the same tough time for them and us! x

Violetcharlotte Fri 13-Jan-17 11:37:10

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to look into tutors. Maybe if he feels more confident he's see the benefit in trying, rather than just ignoring the problem as he's doing now!

t875 Fri 13-Jan-17 12:21:43

Good luck Violet, ive had to push dd through a bit after having severe stress the beg of year 10 so she had gaps in knowledge, but shes done really well and is settled - poss though thinking of dropping art as her course work isnt enough. But we are seeing how she goes in a few weeks then making the decision.

Have you applied to anywhere yet for college for the B Tec for him? x

AKinkAdmirer Fri 13-Jan-17 21:11:05

Sparkler how about taking him to the college open evening then leaving him to his own devices? He could become a lot more receptive to the posibility of attending if he gets the chance to look round on his own - no need to put on a veneer for his parents' benefit. Even if it's just a matter of leaving the room for 10 minutes so he can talk to some teachers on his own. It will give him a chance to be open-minded without the need to uphold his stubbornness in your prescence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now