Talk

Advanced search

What to buy dd for her 13th birthday? What do 13 year olds like?

(18 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Tue 10-Jan-17 20:28:34

I'm stuck, she's not girly, not really into clothes ( and had loads of clothes for Christmas ), she likes to read but has loads of books, she has a tablet, she has a laptop, a 3ds and doesn't really have any hobbies other than writing and making her own YouTube videos. Doesn't like make up, perfume or jewellery.

Ideas please??

VintagePerfumista Tue 10-Jan-17 20:32:22

Dd had a proper slr camera for Christmas? She is also not girly, loves perfume <can't think why> but not makeup or clothes.

I took her to London for 3 days just before as well as all she was asking for was "to see London at Christmas"

Lovemusic33 Tue 10-Jan-17 20:38:53

I'm not sure about a camera, I have dslr that I use a lot and she's never shown a interest.

I think I may have to go down the 'weekend away, or expereance' route, she would love a trip to London or maybe a trip to a comicon type thing.

unlucky83 Tue 10-Jan-17 20:45:53

What about an experience/party for her to remember?
Iirc for my DD1's 13th birthday I paid for her to have a meal in a restaurant with her friends - I stayed nearby but wasn't in the restaurant.
I did go in at the end to pay and the restaurant had my mobile no in case of any problems. They all behaved perfectly and for most of them it was their first 'unaccompanied by a grown up' restaurant meal.
For another birthday around that age she had a 'take over the house' sleepover -so lots of friends (more than a normal sleepover), pizza, DVDs etc and they all slept on mattresses in the living room. I stayed but her younger sister and dad stayed elsewhere...so they had the run of the house.
Or something more active - rock climbing? One of those aerial assault courses? A weekend at an activity centre with a couple of friends... (I thought about quad biking one year but when I was searching for a venue locally found news reports about 2 incidents where teens had died on quad bikes..I changed my mind!)

Zoflorabore Tue 10-Jan-17 20:47:24

Does she have a phone op?

pishedoff Tue 10-Jan-17 20:54:37

I'd suggest a special party? DS couldn't think of anything for his 13th last year so instead of lots of presents we paid for him to go karting with a group of friends. Cost a fortune - far more than we'd normally spend - so was a real treat

Lovemusic33 Tue 10-Jan-17 20:56:42

She doesn't really want a party, she only has a couple good friends and we will probably go out to eat somewhere with her best friend.

She has a phone but would like a upgrade, has said she only wants a better phone if she can take it to school as all her friends take theirs to school and use them on the bus, I don't really want to spend a fortune on a iPhone so she can take it to school.

FeckinCrutches Tue 10-Jan-17 20:57:29

Theatre tickets
Magazine subscription
Stationery subscription
Google Cardboard
Audio books

FeckinCrutches Tue 10-Jan-17 20:58:18

Night away in London/big town

ChocoChou Tue 10-Jan-17 21:46:56

Ooh I'd get her the iPhone blush.
She sounds very lucky in that she has most things a 13yo could ever wish for but is just missing that vital piece of official teenagedom: the iPhone!
Having worked in secondary schools it can be quite surprising the proportion of kids from year 7 upwards who have them! (Just get insurance!)

ChocoChou Tue 10-Jan-17 21:48:18

Or if you really are against the iPhone then I second the trip to London Town. Perhaps she can bring her best friend too

19lottie82 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:03:28

Buy a returned handset on eBay / Amazon..... you should be able to pick up an iPhone 6 at a reasonable price now the 7 is out.

yummumto3girls Wed 11-Jan-17 17:05:08

I would focus on her like of making YouTube videos, an SLR camera with HD video, or video camera, GoPro, or iPhone!

butterfly990 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:50:19

I got my daughter a graphics tablet for Christmas which she loves.

www.argos.co.uk/product/4458548

pilates Sat 18-Mar-17 20:01:59

iPhone

PrizePrawn Sat 18-Mar-17 20:05:39

Lava Lamp
Soft fake fur blanket
Emoji Cushions
Hunger Games canvas print
Body Shop/Lush/books

Babymamamama Sat 18-Mar-17 20:13:15

What about asking her? She may know! Maybe you could take her out for lunch of her choice and choose something together? Or a voucher? Asos? Top shop?

Davros Mon 20-Mar-17 00:53:08

Cambridge satchel?
Michael Kors bag?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now