Talk

Advanced search

First day of period

(21 Posts)
luluskiptotheloo Tue 10-Jan-17 11:18:46

Every month my 13 yr old DD feels faint and looks pale on the first day of her period. She feels shaky as well and often ends up sleeping in the nurses room at school for a while.
After day 1 she has pains but doesn't feel faint.
I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to help, like diet or supplement wise.
She is healthy and blood pressure normal.

Rumtopf Tue 10-Jan-17 11:23:01

We (the GP and I) put dd on a multi vit with added iron and evening primrose oil for her periods as they're quite bad. She also needs to eat more, especially on the first day, as if her blood sugar gets a little low she is sick, pale and generally a bit weak and tired.

luluskiptotheloo Tue 10-Jan-17 11:23:33

Also she always gets a headache as well.

luluskiptotheloo Tue 10-Jan-17 11:24:46

Thanks I will look into that.

Loopsdefruits Tue 10-Jan-17 11:26:34

Hi lulu, I'm sorry your DD feels so rotten sad I think the first step is to take her to her GP and get some blood tests done, if possible then do that during or just after her period (to see if there are any issues that are only present during her cycle). It sounds to my, very untrained, brain that she might be low-level anaemic, so iron tablets could be helpful (or a less-strong iron supplement like floradix). Saying that, it's very important to rule out any other issues, so do try and get a doctor's appointment smile

Rumtopf Tue 10-Jan-17 11:28:10

My dd also gets hormonal migraines, the day before and the first day of her period. We've tried her on a Triptan but Migraleve seems to work the best as it has an anti sickness element to it too. Eating really balanced meals and drinking and sleeping enough are obv important too.

MollyHuaCha Tue 10-Jan-17 11:31:08

Poor girl. Why did Mother Nature inflict periods on us? It must be so hard for some girls to get through the school day, feeling washed out and have to cope with dance and PE, rushing from one class to another with inadequate time to queue to use the toilet. Please give your DD a big hug and pass on this chocolate from me 🍫

Bobochic Tue 10-Jan-17 11:32:21

I'm afraid that I'm still like this aged 50 and perimenopausal. Extra food, if your DD can actually swallow it, can help. A more protein rich diet is a good idea IME - I don't especially like read meat but I do think it helps with period-related weakness.

Helenluvsrob Tue 10-Jan-17 11:32:24

absolutely no reason for a 13yr old to suffer with her periods at all. Book to see gp ( routinely, if you wait 4 weeks that is fine , but book the slot now!) . Be proactive . I know the " it's natural" school of thought will want " gentle treatment" but actually a combined contraceptive pill will revolutionise her life if it's safe for her to have it. Also ask about " tricycling" the pill... ie running packs together. For young girls this means timing periods that may still be annoying , at a time that is convenient eg school holidays.

Just my 2p worth..

rightsofwomen Tue 10-Jan-17 11:35:19

but actually a combined contraceptive pill will revolutionise her life if it's safe for her to have it

I don't think there has been enough research to show this is true.
The Pill has only been around since the 60s and has certainly not been used to manage periods since then.

I believe my generation (mid 40s) will be the first to have used it for that purpose. We don't know the long-term effect of running packs together.

luluskiptotheloo Tue 10-Jan-17 11:36:39

Thanks for the replies. DD had lots of blood tests done a couple of months ago as she was experiencing dizzy spells regularly. Iron levels were normal then, as was everything else. Gp thought postural hypertension but her blood pressure didn't back that theory up.
At that time DD was taking a multi vitamin and I read somewhere that too much vit A can cause dizziness so she stopped taking it and the dizziness stopped.

ofudginghell Tue 10-Jan-17 11:43:49

My dd started her periods at 10 1/2.
She's always been regular but they are heavier for the first two days and she suffers with pains felling tired and generally grumpier.
I give her paracetamol she has a hot bath with lavender and lots of chocolate and a few earlier nights.
Seems to relax her enough to help.

I would never start her on a pill of any sort.
I'm on daily hormones due to having emergency thyroid removal three years ago and they wreak havoc with other natural hormones.
Starting on a hormone so young means a very long time of synthetics in the body.
I make sure (or try to) that my dd gets lots of dark greens for vitamins and a good balance of everything else rather than giving her a vitamin.

Looby4 Tue 10-Jan-17 11:48:35

My DD15 suffered for nearly 3 years, but started the pill Yasmin in May. It has really improved things and also her skin, which was very spotty, has cleared completely. Miraculous. She has run packs together over holidays. I wish she'd started this before.

luluskiptotheloo Tue 10-Jan-17 12:24:21

I do try and get DD to eat greens but it's a struggle. The lavender bath sounds brilliant.
She does tend to need more sleep during her period and takes herself to bed earlier than usual.
I really wouldn't consider the pill at this stage.
She started her periods at 10 1/2 and they do seem heavy.
I am a great one for going for a walk to help but it never seems to be met with much enthusiasm!

Lucysdiamonds Tue 10-Jan-17 12:27:18

Dd15 suffers the same way .. faint, dizzy, migraine, sick, bad cramps ... I'll try evening primrose oil combined with multivits.

Bobochic Tue 10-Jan-17 12:29:25

I don't think going for a walk is a good idea at all! Lying on the sofa under a blanket with a hot drink would be more appropriate.

Lottie4 Tue 10-Jan-17 14:37:50

I often used to faint with the pain when I was younger and didn't feel right for a few days after so your DD has my total sympathies. Do the best you can to encourage healthy eating a few days before - if she won't eat dark green veg as suggested above, any veg are better than nothing. I'd also start taking painkillers as soon as she expects the pain to kick in, ie don't wait until it starts as it'll be harder to get under some element of control.

I'm much older now, but still feel sick and very tired - I read somewhere this is due to fluctuating hormones.

My friend's GP prescribed something which reduces the flow which seems to help. I think you take a tablet as soon as your period starts. Might be worth asking above this.

luluskiptotheloo Thu 12-Jan-17 23:26:21

I spoke to gp today and he wants DD to have a blood test done to check her iron levels. DD insists that she's not having it done as there's nothing wrong with her!
Don't you just love teenagers!

JustDanceAddict Fri 13-Jan-17 09:02:53

I still feel like that sometimes in my 40s when I come on and I'm not anaemic. Is she quite heavy, as blood loss can make me feel lightheaded.

KylieJo Fri 13-Jan-17 09:10:06

Since this is highly individual, I would suggest consulting with a doctor before introducing any supplement/treatment. Keeping fingers crossed you find a way to make it easier for her.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 13-Jan-17 09:15:33

Dizziness, shakiness and nausea while menstruating is quite common. Normal cyclical changes in the cervix affect the vagus nerve, which passes nearby. Google cervical vasovagal response.

Dizziness all month round could be due to iron deficiency anaemia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now