Talk

Advanced search

Child benefit stop date for 18 year old?

(7 Posts)
Moggerhammer Sat 07-Jan-17 20:18:39

Hi. I'm a bit confused as I presumed once your teen hit their 18th BIRTHDAY their child benefit stopped even if they were in their 2nd year of sixth form/college. This happened to my eldest daughter in September 2015 (birthday 21st Sep). However, my 2nd daughter turned 18 last November 2016 and is still receiving Child benefit. Does anyone know the actual stop time? I have a feeling that we have missed out on child benefit for a year when we shouldn't have. Thanks for any advice anyone x

heavenlypink Sat 07-Jan-17 20:23:19

Rules are complicated - I believe it can continue till 19 if in non advanced education

BackforGood Sat 07-Jan-17 20:25:09

It continues to the end of 6th form if you filled in the declaration once they turned 16

Rockmegently Sat 07-Jan-17 20:26:55

Yes I think you did, you can get it for a child in full time education (not uni) until they are 20. Call them they might backdate depending on how long it's been

Wex Sun 08-Jan-17 14:12:36

Yes it's payable up to 19th birthday or leaving non advanced education. They usually send a letter a while before asking what the DC is doing.
It may be too late, but worth asking if you can reclaim it.

Rockmegently Sun 08-Jan-17 20:34:56

*Yes it's payable up to 19th birthday or leaving non advanced education. They usually send a letter a while before asking what the DC is doing.
It may be too late, but worth asking if you can reclaim it*

It's actually up until 20th birthday, so is tax credits

Moggerhammer Mon 09-Jan-17 09:34:25

Thank you so much everyone for your help. I have just been on the phone to child benefits and they were brilliant! We are receiving 1 years CB areers in the next few days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now