Talk

Advanced search

If you have a teenage boy do they go to the gym?

(9 Posts)
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 14:35:10

If they do ,who pays,you or them?

Ds is nearly 16 and very sporty,never goes out with mates so no social life outside of school really although he has lots of friends, so doesn't need money for cinema etc.

Local gym is £20 per month which seems a great deal as that's unlimited use, I can see him making good use of it and he's keen to join.

I'm thinking about me paying half and him paying the rest and then when he's working he can pay the full amount.

Just interested in what others do.

Cleebope Fri 06-Jan-17 17:24:29

Mine doesn't go but I would love him to and if he did I would gladly pay for membership particularly if he is otherwise a cheap teenager. I pay for all their outings , hobbies and my daughter s gym trips to encourage them to go out and do more stuff. £20 monthly is cheap. I pay for 18 year old sons phone and Xbox membership and contact lens. When he moves out then I won't obviously but we both work full time so it's all affordable. Maybe my kids are spoilt- but they cause me no bother so I don't mind. Your plan sound reasonable if it works for you, though.

Shockers Fri 06-Jan-17 17:35:14

Yes, DS (16) joined the sports centre at the local uni. He spends a lot of time there with his friends, usually playing squash, badminton or football, but also swimming and occasionally using the actual gym facilities.

He pays for it himself, but he does get a monthly allowance from us (£60), plus his wages from a part time evening job.

He does spend full days enjoying the uni facilities, so whatever he's paying (I'm not actually sure!) it is worth it!

DD (18) is a member of the leisure club at the hotel next to the uni, with me. Her membership is £25 pm, but we only use the pool really, and also do aqua aerobics. I use a bit of DD's PIP money to pay for her membership.

£20 per month sounds like a bargain. Does the gym have a pool too?

pericat Fri 06-Jan-17 17:35:17

Both ds1 and ds2 (18 and 15) qualified for free gym membership this year because of their sporting achievements (scheme run by the Council).

They go to the gym at least twice a week and it has been great for them. I would definitely pay if the free scheme finished and they continue to be students.

Jayfee Fri 06-Jan-17 17:35:31

i would pay for it...but monitor its use.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 18:28:47

No pool but a pool nearby if he wants to swim.

Ok, thanks, I might pay for it in full until he works. He's a cheap teen reallygrin

lljkk Fri 06-Jan-17 19:58:20

Mine works for the gym so gets free sessions, phew.
I was paying £5 a session for him to swim, until recently.
Kind of hacks me off... with 6th form student ID he could get a swim discount. But no discount for NEETS not claiming benefits, argh.

PJ67 Sat 07-Jan-17 01:13:22

Hi. My 17 yr old goes, it's £18 a month and we pay it for him though he's looking for a part time job.

corythatwas Sat 07-Jan-17 11:59:21

I am paying for my 16yo. The way I look at it is, we paid for his sister's drama lessons at the same age, we would have paid for music lessons; this is an equally beneficial activity that could even be seen as preparation for work (he is contemplating the kind of career that requires physical fitness). Again, he's a cheap teen and it's actually quite pleasant to be able to do something for him for once grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now