Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dd wants to go on the pill ...

(9 Posts)
pokerstraight Wed 21-Feb-07 02:46:08

she has a long term boyfriend and i am happy that she has come and asked me about this, but she doesn't want to go to see our gp for it. it is a very small surgery and she feels embarassed as they have known her since she was a baby.

i have always gone to the gp about my pill, but am i right in thinking the nurse can prescribe it as well? and can she prescribe it for the first time?

the other option is the family planning clinic. but then when you need more do you have to go back to the family planning or can she get prescription through our doctor or nurse?

you'd think me being a responsible adult i would know this stuff! i don't know how they expect teenagers to ..

izzybiz Wed 21-Feb-07 08:11:00

I always used to get mine from family planning when i was younger, we had a youth advisory clinic for under 21s.

You could just walk in and wait to be seen, they also gave free condoms aswell.

pokerstraight Wed 21-Feb-07 15:46:08

and then when you run out did you have to go back to the same clinic everytime to get it. do they just give you the pill or do they give you a prescription to go and get it from the chemist?

DizzyDave Wed 21-Feb-07 15:49:30

family planning clinic when i was younger. easier because it's usually held in the evening, so doesn't interrupt school/college/work. the first visit you see the nurse first, for general chat, weigh in etc. then you see the doctor who gives you your prescription. after that first visit, all being well, you can just see the nurse, not the doctor. you get your pills there and then, plus free condoms. they usually give you 6 months worth each time.

pokerstraight Wed 21-Feb-07 15:53:09

ok well our nearest family planning clinic is quite a while away, so i'll see what she wants to do.

so at our normal doctors there's no way she could see the nurse first time round?

tissy Wed 21-Feb-07 15:56:51

No, nurses can't prescribe the ocp, though if all is well on subsequent visits, the prescription can be continued without the need to see the Dr again.

ginnedupmummy Wed 21-Feb-07 16:44:17

Message withdrawn

ginnedupmummy Wed 21-Feb-07 16:45:21

Message withdrawn

JanH Wed 21-Feb-07 16:49:00

There is a weekly walk-in clinic for young people at our HC (held on the afternoon that the 6th form finishes early ) - they have to have a yearly check-up for the pill according to DD2, which seems like a sensible idea - I would assume FPC would do the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now