Talk

Advanced search

What do you do about young teens on NYE?

(26 Posts)
Tex111 Mon 26-Dec-16 21:53:39

DS (14) wants to spend NYE with friends. I'm fine with that but I'm wondering how he gets home that night. He's not allowed to sleepover (that's a whole other story) so he'll need to come home but I don't want him walking home at 1am on his own (we live in London). DH and I would like to have a NYE drink or two so we couldn't drive to pick him up. I'm guessing taxis will be hard to come by. What do you do?

Floralnomad Mon 26-Dec-16 21:57:27

If he were mine I just wouldn't be drinking so I could collect him , but that's easy for me to say because I don't drink anyway .

ChocoChou Mon 26-Dec-16 22:06:05

I wouldn't drink so I could collect him or be available if something goes wrong and he needs picking up? It's responsibility confused

glasshalfemp Mon 26-Dec-16 22:10:15

He wouldn't go until old enough to come home alone hmm

lapsedorienteerer Mon 26-Dec-16 22:12:29

14 is way too young to be going to spend NYE (until midnight) with friends in my opinion.........

NicknameUsed Mon 26-Dec-16 22:13:00

I would either have him sleep over or not drink so I could pick him up.

ggirl Mon 26-Dec-16 22:13:22

Yup , I would either not drink and pick him up , or book a taxi ,if that's possible , to go and collect him...but that all sounds such a fag , I'd suggest his mates came to you instead .

NerrSnerr Mon 26-Dec-16 22:15:41

I know at 14 I would have slept over but we lived in the countryside and were geeky kids who'd have been watching The Craft and eating Pringles. If he can't sleep over I would say he can't go.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 26-Dec-16 22:16:45

DD1 is 14. We celebrate NYE at home as a family and going out with friends hasn't come up yet. If it did, I'd want to be very, very clear about where she is, who she's going with and who's in charge. If (huge "if") i was happy with the plans, i would absolutely keep sober, so as to be able to pick her up. But in all honesty, I'd much more likely be saying no because I think she's too young.

Notnownornever Mon 26-Dec-16 22:20:35

Where is he going?
Only way I'd let mine go is if it was a close friend and they were sleeping over AND I knew the parents (and knew they wouldnt be blind drunk so could be in charge if needs be)
But if he is banned from a sleepover it would be a no from me

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 26-Dec-16 22:24:25

I have 16 and 15 year olds but this hasn't come up yet (they aren't that social) but, the answer would be "no" I think. Different if it was local friends and they were able to walk home (we live on a "nice" estate).

If I did want to let them go and they couldn't walk home then I wouldn't drink until after I'd picked them up.

Ellapaella Mon 26-Dec-16 22:24:51

I have a 14 year old and I wouldn't be allowing him to stay out until midnight until he was old enough and responsible enough to walk home himself. A compromise would be postpone drinking myself until 10pm, pick him up and then have a drink when I got home or tell him to come home for 9.30 - 10 at latest. Personally I think 14 is too young to be walking around late at night on NYE but I guess this is the kind of thing that depends upon the individual child and what the parents find acceptable. Could you book a taxi in advance?

Natsku Mon 26-Dec-16 22:26:26

I think in this situation either sleepover (with responsible adults there) or you picking him up are the only options. Its a difficult age for New Year's Eve but he's also at an age to want to spend time with friends. The other option is if he gets a taxi with someone else that you trust. What about taking a taxi to pick him up if you really want a drink? Most likely you'll need to book in advance though.

Figure17a Mon 26-Dec-16 22:30:18

My 14yo wouldn't be going unless I knew the parents very well and/or it was close enough for dh and I to walk to bring him home

Eevee77 Mon 26-Dec-16 22:40:55

What do you think people do? He either stays out or pick him up. Or invite his friends over.

Violetcharlotte Mon 26-Dec-16 22:50:17

My DS2 is 15 and going for a sleepover NYE. I wouldn't want him to have to get home. If a sleepover want an option I would either not drink and pick him up or he wouldn't go.

DollyPlastic Mon 26-Dec-16 22:52:02

If he wasn't sleeping over, he wouldn't be going.

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Mon 26-Dec-16 23:09:04

No sleeping over, no staying out late. I would maybe consider a walk home with a sensible friend who was staying with him at yours.

Philoslothy Tue 27-Dec-16 00:47:47

We have a party at our house as we know what our teenagers are up to

notangelinajolie Tue 27-Dec-16 00:52:14

Easy, not drink and pick them up. Toast the New Year when they are home.

busyboysmum Tue 27-Dec-16 00:56:35

We have a big party at our house so all our kids are present and correct and rampaging round with their friends. Actually my teenager is probably the best behaved person at the party 😆

Howlongtilldinner Tue 27-Dec-16 07:29:48

I didn't drink on NYE for years when mine went out (never at 14)..there's no way I could enjoy myself if I was worried about them getting home..mine is nearly 19 and I still worry..this is parenting!

Poppiesway Tue 27-Dec-16 07:49:17

How many other teens are going and how are they getting home? Can they all be given a lift together?
Ds1 and his friend started the New Year's Eve thing last year and they came to ours (one of thems older brother picked them all up and distributed them accordingly) but they were welcome to stay if they wanted too (as they do in the summer.. they camp out in my garden)
However If he were at another's house I wouldn't have a drive to make sure he was safely home.

Tex111 Tue 27-Dec-16 12:02:26

Thanks. I will stick to soft drinks and pick him up. This feedback has been heartening.

JustDanceAddict Tue 27-Dec-16 20:26:57

If my 14 yr old wanted to go to a friends she'd have to stay over or dh/me would stay sober. As it is we are all staying over at family friends. No way would I let her come back on her own at midnight on any night!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now