Talk

Advanced search

So rude

(3 Posts)
Iamthecatsmother Fri 16-Dec-16 15:59:35

My DS is 12, he's well into puberty, voice breaking etc. Not sure if he's considered young for it but, it's happening. He's in year 7 so has just started secondary school. It's been hard, quite a few issues which I have posted about but I think we're getting there now. He's seems happier over the last few weeks.

DS has always been a gentle soul. A sweet boy, very kind and caring, very polite He also has HFA, has a statement etc. DH and I have always done all we can to support DS. We've even moved area so he can go to a secondary school better suited to his needs.

Lately he's become so rude to me and DH. It's really nasty and over the slightest thing. It's like walking on egg shells. Today, for example, I asked him to get ready for school as I was giving him a lift on the way to take DD to school. I got a mouthful of abuse back. I told him off and I've confiscated his tablet. Makes no difference though. He's really polite to others outside the immediate family, it's just me and DH.sad he's shouted at me in front of my dad, my dad was shocked.

Is this teenager behaviour or is it ASD? How do I handle this? I'm finding it tough. Have we been too soft with him? I have no help with the dcs. DS is my eldest so I don't know if this is 'normal'. My mum died some years ago so I don't really have anyone to ask. I also suffered from clinical depression, I'm on medication and I know this affects my judgment sometimes. Can anyone help please?

JustDanceAddict Fri 16-Dec-16 18:08:57

Probably a combo of the two. DS is 12 too and has started to answer back and be rude a lot more recently. His voice has deepened, he's got hair, etc. He's got anxiety issues too which doesn't help.
I would try to ignore the small stuff or just say 'I don't appreciate being talked to like that.' And walk away. I am sure that being HFA it could be harder for him to process the changes too.

Iamthecatsmother Fri 16-Dec-16 19:35:16

Thanks, that what I thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now