Talk

Advanced search

Friday night London safety advice

(12 Posts)
Snog Mon 12-Dec-16 06:42:51

My 17 year old dd and her friend plan to come back from the o2 in Greenwich after a concert on Friday night. They need to get back to kings cross then get a train.
What advice do they need on how to keep safe and what to do if they miss the last train and get stuck at kings cross for three hours?

torroloco Mon 12-Dec-16 06:46:45

No practical advice re travel in London but when I started going out my Mum would always tell me to keep £20 in my shoe or bra for emergencies. I always thought she was a bit weird until one day I lost my bag but was still able to get home as I had my emergency £20. My friends started doing the same thing after that.

At 17 I assume they are street smart and know not to talk to strangers so I'm sure they will be fine.

VintagePerfumista Mon 12-Dec-16 06:51:28

Is this the same as the other Kings Cross thread?

I was in London for the first time in many years over the summer, and you know what, I have never felt safer anywhere, and it surprised me.

Is this the first time your 17 yr old has been in London on her own?

Remember, if they are coming from a concert, then there will be 1000s of people around, and even at 1 am, London is not deserted. OK, KC is not the most salubrious of places, but have you seen the London stations these days? They are more like airport concourses.

It will be fine.

Lunaballoon Mon 12-Dec-16 07:21:34

There will be lots of people around at that time. London is a 24 hour city so there'll be safety in numbers. I used to work nights near KC and was often out and about in the early hours and always felt safe.

Snog Mon 12-Dec-16 07:22:09

Yep, sorry, same thread, I thought it might get more traffic in the chat section!
Kings cross definitely looks much nicer now than when I was a teen but I don't have a feel for how much safer it is or if it is open all night as I'm too old and too provincial to know!

Snog Mon 12-Dec-16 07:23:40

Loving the cash in bra/shoe tip!

Gizlotsmum Mon 12-Dec-16 07:24:36

What are the time is their last train?

Ifailed Mon 12-Dec-16 07:27:10

Snog
why post two threads about the same issue?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/a2802140-stuck-at-kings-cross-1am-to-4am?msgid=65479280#65479280

Ifailed Mon 12-Dec-16 07:27:44

Ah, sorry didn't see you last post. You do know you can ask MN to move threads?

MagicMary1 Mon 12-Dec-16 19:01:22

Have a meet up point somewhere specific in kings cross, keep mobiles on, no splitting off (not even two people). Pre planned route and travel times.

Notenoughhoursintheday11 Fri 16-Dec-16 00:49:18

Best advice I can give is those phone battery charger things-they will obviously use their smartphones in the concert and run their battery down so make sure they have them mobile battery packs so they can charge up and stay in touch. I agree with others about how safe London is! Tourists/concert goers everywhere!

JustDanceAddict Fri 16-Dec-16 08:29:04

I live in London and never had an issue getting back late at night from central London. Kings X will be v busy and safe. The station has had a massive revamp in recent years and its fine. Def get them
To keep their phones charged and take spare cash if they get stuck & need to buy food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now