Talk

Advanced search

Present ideas for son's gf?

(25 Posts)
UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Mon 05-Dec-16 03:56:35

I have two ds so am not used to buying presents for girls. Ds2, aged 18, has been going out with his gf for a few months. It's his first serious relationship. I'd like to buy her something for Christmas but am not sure where to start. Budget would be around £25.

The problem is that she doesn't wear jewellry or make up. I haven't got a clue about what she'd like musically, and anyway if she wanted to get some music she'd download it. Vouchers seem too impersonal, I'd like to give her a gift she could open. She's very sporty but I can't think of anything in that department.

I asked ds for suggestions but he said he was struggling to think of what he could buy her so that wasn't much help.

Any ideas?

user1477282676 Mon 05-Dec-16 03:58:36

My first boyfriend's Mum got me a lovely dressing gown which I was very pleased with. If you feel that's too personal, I would go for a lovely mug from Costa with some chocolate in it and a voucher for coffee. If she likes coffee that is...though many teens love Costa for their smoothies and all that.

SaltyBitch Mon 05-Dec-16 10:09:46

PJs are the standard Mum-to-Son's-girlfriend gift.

NicknameUsed Mon 05-Dec-16 10:12:00

I think £25 is quite generous. I was wondering whether to get DD's boyfriend something. They have been going out for over a year. I wouldn't be spending £25 on him though.

KittensKidsAndKisses Mon 05-Dec-16 10:15:04

Pj's
Gloves
Snuggley water bottle
Nice Mug and hot chocolate

lastqueenofscotland Mon 05-Dec-16 12:30:40

PJs? Nice socks, dressing gown?

smegsmeg Mon 05-Dec-16 12:32:35

Rug sack? Always a great present especially if she plays sports..

MrsJayy Mon 05-Dec-16 12:32:54

Pjs or lush gift set I know it stinks to the high heaven but the 18yrold girls I know like lush

TwoGunslingers Mon 05-Dec-16 12:37:03

Maybe a voucher for a local restaurant and they could have a nice meal after Christmas?

MrsJayy Mon 05-Dec-16 12:38:18

Oh that's a nice idea Nandos or pizza express or something

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Fri 09-Dec-16 17:23:25

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't realise PJs were a popular present for sons g/fs. They seem a bit.... intimate. But if they are the done thing then I will have a look. Do TopShop do PJ'S and for no more than £25? Or is there so.ewhere better? I bought PJs for ds last year from Fat Face but they were a LOT more than £25.00.

I think she's a size 8, she's definitely smaller than me. Presumably I can buy with a gift receipt so she can change them if they are too big.

MrsJayy Fri 09-Dec-16 17:52:42

New look do nice pjs and not to pricey

smileymam Mon 12-Dec-16 17:51:27

My sons girlfriend is 17, I,ve got her, perfume (acsessorize) river island purse, a mug and I,ll also got some socks and chocolate for her. They,ve been going out for well over a year and she's lovely, if I could afford it I,d buy her lots more

MagicMary1 Mon 12-Dec-16 18:56:22

What about a spa kit, bubble bath, bombs etc. Can't go wrong everyone loves a spa kit.

Silverdream Tue 13-Dec-16 06:58:49

Cinema voucher or Nando's voucher or weatherspoons voucher. So she has a night out. Buy one for £20 then little things like fluffy socks jelly sweets bobbles bath bomb. Surprising how much you can get from places like primark etc.

Silverdream Tue 13-Dec-16 07:04:09

I make up a night in or a night out kit and label it as such.
Night in - DVD/ wine , facepack , chocolates.
Night out - One of the above vouchers, lipstick , hair bobbes/grips , nail varnish, hand cream etc
Again all from primark/Asda etc she will feel you've really thought about it.

chipsandpeas Tue 13-Dec-16 07:09:56

if you can stretch to £30 the massive soap and glory set boots are doing cheaper this week would prob be a good gift

DollyPlastic Tue 13-Dec-16 07:14:05

I wouldn't have wanted PJs from my bf mum! Seems a bit odd, not sure why.

Wex Tue 13-Dec-16 16:55:11

I've bought PJs for DS's GF grin. Carefully chosen for comfort and fun rather than glamour.
Did I get it right?

CostaAddict Tue 13-Dec-16 17:09:10

Cineworld do a Christmas box for £25. Has a voucher for two 2d/3D tickets, two drinks & popcorn. Plus 2 chocolate reindeers grin

I've given it to brother & his gf and it was very much appreciated (& used within a week).

Otherwise New Look do lovely Pj sets etc.

HeadElf Tue 13-Dec-16 17:29:40

Something from Lush would be fab, maybe some bath bombs.

When I was 17 my boyfriends mum bought me a box of condoms hmm

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Wed 14-Dec-16 13:06:11

Ha ha definitely won't be buying her condoms headelf. That's just weird. Even PJ'S feel a bit intimate but I'll have a look after work today.

The suggestions about little bits and bobs from Primark etc are good, but there's no way I can get to Primark before Christmas. Plus she is totally disinterested in make up etc.

If I don't do pjs then I might get a t-shirt from Holister. Plus chocolate. She eats a LOT of chocolate.

user1477282676 Wed 14-Dec-16 20:09:20

T Shirt and chocolate sounds great to me!

BackforGood Fri 16-Dec-16 00:34:10

Hoodie?
Scarf and gloves?
Fleecy blanket?
Slipper sox?
Love the cinema pack idea ^

I too think PJs are a bit personal for a gf of only a few months
Nor would I go with smellies / bath stuff as is very personal taste.

ProudBadMum Fri 16-Dec-16 00:40:26

Alcohol. £15 for a litre bottle in most supermarkets now. Or one of the alcohol gift sets. Tesco have reduced them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now