Talk

Advanced search

Help needed! Boundary setting with 15 year old autistic daughter

(7 Posts)
RowanDeco Mon 28-Nov-16 09:56:01

We are giving my daughter a laptop for her birthday - what boundaries should we set? She wants it to live in her bedroom and us to trust her not to use it after 8.30pm. She already has trouble focussing on homework; I want to be allowed to see what she is accessing. Her phone has a 'bedtime' of 8.30 and gets charged overnight downstairs. Should we have a written contract? What is reasonable (but firm) parenting?!

BigSandyBalls2015 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:17:22

Leave it downstairs. Too tempting in her bedroom.

RowanDeco Mon 28-Nov-16 17:37:48

Wise words - noted BigSandyBalls2015

audreyharley Tue 29-Nov-16 21:49:25

What are you so afraid of which causes you to restrict your 15 year old daughter's phone usage to a time which I imagine is way before her bedtime? Imo, I would be fine with having both phone and laptop in her room at 15, I mean she's fifteen.

Forflipssake2 Thu 01-Dec-16 00:05:54

RowanDeco has every reason not to want her daughter to have phone and laptop in her bedroom over night. Teenagers and adults will faff around all night on the internet.

RowanDeco Thu 01-Dec-16 07:28:07

Basically, it's the homework issue. That's a whole other headache (and possible future thread!) - she's Year 10 now and is still homework avoidant. If she's off her phone there's a chance I might persuade her to do some. Sometimes.

insan1tyscartching Thu 01-Dec-16 08:00:17

Dd has autism, I'm not terribly restrictive on her gadgets because she generally only draws on her laptop as social media isn't an interest. The easiest way to ensure the homework is done though is to have the rule that there is no laptop until homework is completed. So you can choose to complete it straight away to get the laptop or you can stress and strop for an hour or two then do homework and only then get the laptop. It sinks in pretty quickly IME.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now