Talk

Advanced search

12/13 year old and vaping

(20 Posts)
Squeegle Thu 17-Nov-16 11:58:17

My DS has started vaping. Not with nicotine but with the oils flavoured like apple or butterscotch. He says he's researched it and it's not bad for him. As it is not harmful, I don't see why I should reasonably ban it - Id rather he told me what he was up to rather than doing it elsewhere. What do you think? Do you think it leads into anything else?

dementedpixie Thu 17-Nov-16 12:02:22

I wouldn't be happy with it. There hasn't been research into the long term effects of the ingredients in the liquids so while it would be better than smoking for an ex smoker, it's not appropriate for a child to use them. Is he trying to look cool in front of his mates?

Squeegle Thu 17-Nov-16 12:06:13

Yes, it is definitely a peer group thing. There seems to be a trade in vapes, swooping then around at school etc. I'm not really happy, but like I say, I'd rather know what he was up to- he is becoming very secretive and hence I don't want to send him underground.

Squeegle Thu 17-Nov-16 12:08:12

I would much prefer him to stop but not sure how to actually do it, all I think I can do is stop giving him any money. He is quite rebellious and difficult at the best of times

dementedpixie Thu 17-Nov-16 12:09:02

It is also illegal for under 18s to buy vaping stuff so it must have been bought for him

dementedpixie Thu 17-Nov-16 12:09:56

I would speak to the school and see if they can do anyhting about using them on school premises

Thatwaslulu Thu 17-Nov-16 12:11:31

Or ordered off Ebay. There's a similar epidemic at my son's school - I am not sure that there's anything intrinsically wrong with vaping the 0mg oil but I have asked my son not to do it and he says he doesn't. He is 16 so I wouldn't be too worried if he did, though. I think I would be more concerned if he was younger but I don't really know why.

Squeegle Thu 17-Nov-16 12:14:37

I suppose my real worry is that doing it in secretive little groups makes it more like druggie behaviour and might lead to trying other things. My thoughts were if we can keep this out in he open then I won't send him into secretive ways. But like you both I'm not really happy about it. And yes I think people order the stuff on eBay or Amazon and lots of swop arounds happen.

Enb76 Thu 17-Nov-16 12:22:14

I'll go against the grain here and say I'd rather they were doing this than other little acts of rebellion. We were doing poppers at this age.

There's no real danger here - this age is ripe for experimentation and there is no danger of addiction but there's every reason to be 'cool' which is why a lot of us started smoking. If you think of it as trying different flavours (a bit like a new sort of sweet) or blowing bubbles rather than smoking or as a adjunct to quitting smoking then maybe it's easier.

I would still say you didn't like them doing it as it might mitigate the 'well, lets find something she really doesn't like'

dementedpixie Thu 17-Nov-16 12:25:47

it just seems so young to me to even be thinking about using them. I have a Dd (13) and I couldn't imagine her using/wanting to use one. Mind you she isn't swayed by the whole expensive make up thing either.

IamWendy Thu 17-Nov-16 12:32:17

Keep a certain air of disapproval about it, but let it slide. If I had been as smart to research the things I was trying at 13 maybe I wouldn't have started on real fags, so at least he is concerned about his health.

Squeegle Thu 17-Nov-16 17:06:54

I think that is what I will do. I'll say 8 don't want you to do this, but I'd rather you were honest so I will allow it, but definitely no nicotine and nothing else that is illegal. It seems shocking that kids this young are doing it, but they are - unfortunately .

Overshoulderbolderholder Thu 17-Nov-16 17:31:28

I found what I thought was an electronic cigarette it had a scotch flavoured bottle with it, in my sons bedroom he is 12. I have been worried sick that he is smoking and this was an easy way to get nicotine. I know nothing of vaping, I will have to research. My gut feeling is that it may lead to something else, but at least maybe I should be relieved that he's not addicted to nicotine

Squeegle Thu 17-Nov-16 19:47:09

It seems a real thing among the boys. My DD is not into it at all- she's 14. I don't know if other more street savvy girls are.

Oblomov17 Mon 03-Jul-17 11:18:51

Benchmarking. Found out that 13 year old ds is vaping, yesterday. Apparently all his mates are. They have been for ages. Not very impressed. Had my suspicions......

Mary21 Mon 03-Jul-17 11:48:38

Might be worth reading
www.lung.org/about-us/blog/2016/07/popcorn-lung-risk-ecigs.html
www.nhs.uk/news/2015/12December/Pages/Flavouring-found-in-e-cigarettes-linked-to-popcorn-lung.aspx

Oblomov17 Mon 03-Jul-17 19:31:29

Thank you Mary. Am reading that now.

californication87 Mon 03-Jul-17 19:44:32

While I wouldn't be particularly bothered about the vaping itself, I would be worried about what it could lead to, especially as 12/13 seems so young!

If I were you, I would make sure he knows you aren't happy about it, but I wouldn't try to stop him doing it as it's much better for him to be open with you about things in the future, especially if it does escalate.

PencilsInSpace Tue 04-Jul-17 20:19:29

So the 'popcorn lung' thing -

The name 'popcorn lung' originates from a study of workers in a microwave popcorn factory. They found quite a few workers who had breathing difficulties and decided it was probably due to them inhaling diacetyl from butter flavouring ingredients.

What rarely gets mentioned is that cigarette smoke contains around 750 times as much diacetyl as eliquid used to contain and yet smoking has never been identified as a risk factor for developing this rare disease.

Nevertheless, in an effort to make vaping as safe as possible, diacetyl has now been eliminated from eliquid, just in case.

OP and Oblomov, ASH have produced a very informative fact sheet on children and vaping which I hope you find reassuring.

Children are experimenting with ecigs, but unless they are already smoking (which is obviously your main problem*) it's incredibly unlikely they will develop a habit.

Rip the piss out of them. Tell them they look like pillocks and would they like a fedora and a stick-on neck beard for christmas?

*If they are already smoking get them all the help available on the NHS and don't discourage the ecig, it could be their way out of a deadly habit.

Vanillaisboring666 Tue 04-Jul-17 20:25:15

Omg a 12 year old vaping is just awful. I'd be devastated if my 12 yr old did this. Thankfully he has no interest at all in smoking or vaping amd nor does my 14 year old dd. It looks bloody ridiculous also but that's just my opinion and I know many people enjoy doing it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now