Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect partner to support me when asking my teenage daughters for help around the house?

(8 Posts)
Jazzybreen Sun 13-Nov-16 11:38:53

It's Sunday. I've made us an English breakfast, emptied and refilled dishwasher, made beds, got 7 year old Brownie to church for Remembrance Sunday service, helped with Amazon topic homework, put on wash number one.
Partner has just reprimanded me for asking why our 15 year old hadn't picked her knickers off the bathroom floor and put them in the laundry basket. He tells me I'm the mother and that's what mothers do. I'm livid but too exhausted to argue. AIBU to expect help around the house from our two teens? And to also need support in asking? Going doolally here but can't verbalise how I feel without turning this into an argument sad

Claramarion Sun 13-Nov-16 13:22:50

What a dick !!! At fifteen she should be doing chores and defiantly picking up her own clothes.

In saying that is depends how you asked and what reaction you got it really is worth knowing which battle to be picking with a teenaged girl ! But whatever he should be supporting you !

audreyharley Sun 13-Nov-16 17:15:10

Wow your partner is a massive sexist. I would confront him and if he doesn't see the error in his blatant sexism and assholism, leave him. Disgusting tbh.

tribpot Sun 13-Nov-16 17:34:35

So you're more annoyed about teens being lazy than your DP being a condescending sexist pig? (I wouldn't be happy about either, incidentally - but the teens are at least children).

MyWineTime Sun 13-Nov-16 17:36:09

He tells me I'm the mother and that's what mothers do. I'm livid but too exhausted to argue.
Then it will never change.
You know YANBU, but if you continue to put up with it from him, it will have the same effect as if you pick your daughter's knickers up for her. There's no need to change because you will do everything anyway.

AvocadoGirl Sun 13-Nov-16 22:09:54

I'd be pissed if I were you.

15 is old enough to pick up after themselves, and your partner should be able to help you too!

As far as the knickers go, we started putting everything I picked up from my kids into a box in my room, which they then had to pay for to get returned to them. They soon stopped leaving stuff lying around! If nobody claims it after a week I just fine them out of their allowance, and put the money in my own spending jar (which is pretty full!) smile

swingofthings Wed 16-Nov-16 15:11:35

He tells me I'm the mother and that's what mothers do.
OMG, don't let exhaustion not fight back. How dare he! Ironically, in my household, it's the other way around, DP is even more fed up with their mess than I am and if it was up to him, he probably would get them to sit on the naughty step and take away all their privileges until they could be so tidy, they could get a job as a local hospital cleaner without training!

I do sympathise though, my teenagers are perfect except for the utter laziness when it comes to chores. I have to battle with them over and over asking the same things and it's really disheartening. Is it really that difficult to replace a toilet roll with a fresh one when it is standing right next to it? It really exasperating though. I try to remind myself that I will miss them when they are gone though!

MuseumOfCurry Wed 16-Nov-16 15:14:13

Oh my. That's terrible. I gather this comment hasn't arrived out of the blue?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now