Talk

Advanced search

Contraception pill to control heavy periods?

(14 Posts)
Onedayinthesun Mon 07-Nov-16 09:06:16

Hi, my 15 DD has had her periods for the past 14 months and increasingly they are more and more heavy. To the point over the last 3 months she has had numerous episodes of flooding, embarrassing leaks and for the past 5 weeks has been on a medium to heavy flow continuously.

She is very light, 6.5 stone and they are really taking it out of her physically. The GP prescribed a month ago Tranexamic acid but it has had no effect whatsoever on reducing the flow.

My question is has anyone put their DD on the contraceptive pill to control heavy periods and did it work? I have an appointment with the GP for her tomorrow. My reluctance is that she has suffered severe anxiety in the past and was withdrawn from school for a number of months to help her recover and I don't want the pill to encourage side effects like anxiety. Is there a recommended pill that I should ask the Dr for?

Thanks for your help

paddypants13 Mon 07-Nov-16 09:16:34

Hi op, Not me but my cousin has been on the pill for years to control her periods. She also suffers from anxiety (and also depression) and she says the pill affects her moods in a negative way.

She is now going to have the copper coil fitted instead. She hasn't given birth but is going to go for it anyway. Has your dd considered that?

ChickyDuck Mon 07-Nov-16 09:18:27

I had horrific long, heavy, painful periods as a teenager. Tried all the usual medications etc, but nothing helped and I was really aneamic. Went on mycrogynon (which I think is often used as the 'starter' pill) and ten years later I haven't looked back! It's brilliant - short, light, predictable periods, only mild cramping, and for me no side effects at all. Obviously different pills suit different people so definitely discuss which one she goes on with the doctor. The beauty of the pill is you can always just stop taking it and the hormones are flushed out your body pretty quick, so if she hates it she can always just come off it.

Onedayinthesun Mon 07-Nov-16 09:22:38

That is my concern Paddy but she can't live like this. I am hoping I can get it resolved like you have Chicky! That would be the best outcome for her, that is so good to hear that it worked and I agree that the benefit is she can just stop taking it if it does not agree with her. I need to highlight her anxiety and speak to the GP tomorrow - it's a male Dr so I just wanted a bit of insight before I take DD. My experience with GP's is it's always better to go in knowing what you want rather than getting fobbed off!

tinyterrors Mon 07-Nov-16 09:23:19

Having continuous bleeding for so long while not on contraceptives needs investigation. It could just be her body adjusting to the start of periods but I'd be asking the gp about that first.

If tranexamic acid isn't helping there are other tablets such as mefanemic acid that can help.

Microgynon is a combined pill and worked wonders for me. Instead of 5 days of painful heavy bleeding followed by 2-4 days of less painful heavy bleeding I had 4-5 days of pain free light bleeding.

Lots of people have no or very light periods on the progesterone only pill, however it doesn't work for everyone and can cause continuous bleeding while the body adjusts to it. It doesn't help my painful heavy periods at all but migraines mean I can't have microgynon anymore.

I'd be asking for advice over the continuous bleeding and mefanemic acid and/or the combined pill. It may take a couple of months to start working, and may need to try a different pill, but there will be some combination that helps her.

Onedayinthesun Mon 07-Nov-16 09:24:18

Thanks Tiny

tinyterrors Mon 07-Nov-16 09:27:28

Do NOT let her get a copper coil. They can cause heavy painful periods in those who have light periods. I was strongly advised against them by my gp as I already have heavy painful periods.

Ime the combined pill doesn't have as much of an effect on my mood as the progesterone only pill which gives me bad pms for a few days.

Even if one pill does negatively affect her mood and doesn't settle after a few months there are others to try.

frenchfancy Mon 07-Nov-16 10:15:37

Tried it for Dd1. Caused real problems with anxiety and depression. Doc prescribed another treatment but she decided not to take it. Periods have now settled to a manageable level. We used family planning clinic rather than GP. They seemed to have a lot of experience with teens.

Onedayinthesun Mon 07-Nov-16 10:21:42

French I never thought about family planning clinics, I will do a search to see what service we have available near us, thanks for that

mayhew Mon 07-Nov-16 10:30:10

My daughter started microgynon at 15 for exactly this reason. It transformed her life. A kindly female GP talked her through it and prescribed. An added bonus was that you can take 2 packs without a break if you want to miss a bleed for a holiday or similar. She still talks about how grateful she is that she had the option.

mayhew Mon 07-Nov-16 10:36:19

Just adding that she had no unwanted side effects at all.

Onedayinthesun Mon 07-Nov-16 12:13:05

Thanks May that's really good to know

hardheadedwoman Mon 07-Nov-16 12:16:28

DD has been taking the pill for 1.5years to control a situation just like you describe. It has transformed her life and means she can resume activities she was prevented from participating in before it all started. Also makes her feel in control - it's been a godsend

Queenofthecats Sun 13-Nov-16 10:36:41

I was on the pill to control periods for 3 years when I was a teen. I think it help but I can't really remember haha 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now