Ideas for dd's 14th birthday please

(24 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 30-Oct-16 11:09:45

Dd is turning 14 soon and would like to have a party. We need some ideas please, what parties have been successful for this age group?

MaureenMLove Sun 30-Oct-16 11:26:00

Depends what sort of a 14 year old she is. When DD was 14 she had a dinner party! She and 5 of her friends dressed up in the poshest dresses they could find and DH cooked a full 3 course meal for them. I waitressed for them and I even made a label for non alcoholic wine to go on the table.

After dinner, the returned to type, got in their pj's and ate shit whilst watching girlie rubbish and doing their nails and stuff.

Dancergirl Sun 30-Oct-16 11:33:07

That sounds lovely! Not sure if a dinner party would suit dd though. Maybe some sort of activity then food after....

JustSpeakSense Sun 30-Oct-16 11:41:50

Shopping trip and lunch out?

You could buy them a Nando's or pizza express lunch, perhaps fork out for a Starbucks too and let them wander around the shops for the day, perhaps finished off with a sleepover?

HandyWoman Sun 30-Oct-16 18:12:45

For her 14th b'day my dd has asked for a day out at shopping with her friends at the Westfield shopping centre (which is absolutely nowhere near here) bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Sorry. Not helpful I know. But funny grin

FarAwayHills Sun 30-Oct-16 19:05:19

Marking my place as having a similar dilemmaconfused

Also confused as I thought birthday parties ended in primary school but apparently not.

DD has a birthday coming up and we are limited by budget and space She has a group of about 8 friends and it's all or nothing, as leaving some of the group out could cause serious dramas.

Sorry to hijack but really hoping for some inspiration here.

Dancergirl Sun 30-Oct-16 23:00:31

No worries faraway we can all share ideas as and when we think of them!

8 is a nice number, would your dd enjoy a sporting activity - Go Ape (expensive though), bowling or indoor skiing?

notagiraffe Sun 30-Oct-16 23:04:28

Do you have Everyman cinemas near you? They have big sofas and tables so you can order proper food and drinks. They might want to watch some feelgood film like A Streetcat Named Bob that comes out next week?
Skating party or rollerblade disco party? An afternoon at a theme park?

9troubledwaters Sun 30-Oct-16 23:05:52

I have zero cash so I'm doing film & pizza at home

9troubledwaters Sun 30-Oct-16 23:07:08

Oh & ive bought that game where you have to speak with a teeth guard in, forgotten what its called!!

QueenofQuirkiness Sun 30-Oct-16 23:19:52

Hire a hot tub and have a garden party (weather permitting!) order pizza and decorate a bit, then perhaps movies and a sleepover

Philoslothy Sun 30-Oct-16 23:25:22

I think mine wanted meals out with their friends at that age.

BackforGood Sun 30-Oct-16 23:37:10

I think one of mine arranged to go ice-skating with her friends at that age. The other invited them here, they had pizza, then went and built a fire in the garden and sat around that (with marshmallows, obviously) and put the world to rights for an hour or two.

MulberryBush12 Sun 30-Oct-16 23:43:27

Cinema trip/ ice-skating/ bowling and then pizza???

dovesong Sun 30-Oct-16 23:56:05

The best party I had at that age was a murder mystery one - everyone got a character and we all dressed up. Really fab.

poisonedbypen Mon 31-Oct-16 17:54:22

Two of the things DD did at this age were Go Ape (hers, but she only had 2 friends along). I think you need an adult per two children and a murder mystery dinner party. And shopping.

JustSpeakSense Tue 01-Nov-16 16:29:04

Also popular in our city 'escape the room'

Dancergirl Sun 04-Dec-16 20:25:53

Hi, we are still struggling to think of something. Dd isn't really sporty so doesn't fancy ice skating or something like Go Ape. I suggested an escape room but that got a no too! Any other suggestions please?

NiceFalafels Sun 04-Dec-16 20:30:29

A. British bake off party. Two teams. Firstly they choose from recipes, then shop for the stuff, then cook, then eat

Dancergirl Mon 05-Dec-16 15:25:11

Lovely idea nice but dd is really not into food or baking at all, sorry.

torroloco Mon 05-Dec-16 15:33:31

At that age it was all sleepovers for me and my friends. Maybe buy them some nail varnishes and little panper bits if thats their thing??

JustDanceAddict Mon 05-Dec-16 21:13:32

Mine just had about 15 friends round - ordered pizza, mucked about & went home!! They seemed to enjoy it & was cheap.

smurfest Mon 05-Dec-16 21:24:43

glad to hear that JustDance, that is the plan for DDs party, pizza plus movie.

Stillnoidea Mon 05-Dec-16 21:25:00

Round here the done thing seems to be meeting in town for a general mooch/shopping, then 1 or 2 back for a sleepover. Very cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now