Talk

Advanced search

Volunteering for a 14yr old

(12 Posts)
Lifeisshort123 Sun 23-Oct-16 11:11:24

Hi, my DD currently has been voulteering once a week for 2 hours at a local hospice charity shop and seems to really enjoy it. However, she wants to do something else in terms of volunteering but isn't instresting in volunteering with brownies or rainbows ect. Any ideas??

Volatile Sun 23-Oct-16 11:17:57

My daughter's just arranged to volunteer at local library for DofE. And I know our county council have a scheme for volunteering at heritage sites.

JustDanceAddict Sun 23-Oct-16 15:53:53

I need to sort something for my DD too. Local food bank possibly?

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 23-Oct-16 17:22:02

14 year old DS2 volunteered at our local library over the summer.

Timetogetup0630 Sun 23-Oct-16 23:05:03

DS volunteered at the food bank last year. I had to go too, they wouldn't have him unaccompanied.
They are usually very busy in this run up to Christmas.

Quietlygoingmad67 Sun 23-Oct-16 23:09:25

My food bank said they had enough volunteers and would even take my details shock

I agree with library - what about a care home for the elderly? Any local to you that would welcome a teenager?

Quietlygoingmad67 Sun 23-Oct-16 23:11:56

*wouldnt!

Leeds2 Mon 24-Oct-16 11:15:48

At that age, my DD helped at an animal sanctuary.

A lot of places don't take them until they are 16.

MrsFionaCharming Mon 24-Oct-16 14:03:44

My foodbank will allow unaccompanied teenagers (14+) to volunteer, as long as the parent signs a permission slip.

BackforGood Mon 24-Oct-16 23:10:20

What about a sport ?
My dd's football team has a lad come and do fitness and skills training with them for 3 months over the Summer, for his DofE volunteering - obviously it would depend if she is good at any sport grin

That said - we are looking for someone to make the teas / run the little kiosk at their football.... is there something like that she might be able to ask at?

Our local hospice only survives because of it's volunteers - some do stuff like making cups of tea and chatting with people, but others keep the garden looking nice, or help out on Reception, etc (don't know what their age rules are)

PurpleWithRed Mon 24-Oct-16 23:17:47

What sort of something else? Cadets - St John Ambulance or army cadets? Teaches useful skills.

HereIAm20 Wed 26-Oct-16 15:56:03

Helper at the disabled swimming club?

Salvation Army charity shop

Local animal shelter - dog walking etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now