teenagers (u-18) travelling abroad without adults

(6 Posts)
Threpennybit Sun 11-Sep-16 21:06:27

DN is 16, will be nearly 17 by the time in question. She has fallen out with her mum because she won't let DN and her bf (who will be just 17) go away as a couple to a European city for a short break. Her mum (my Dsis) is questioning herself so I thought I'd ask the wise people of MN for their thoughts! I have tinies only and think my sis is right but I don't know about teens!

AgentProvocateur Sun 11-Sep-16 21:09:46

I wouldn't think twice about this. I went round France when I was 16, and DS2 and his friend went to Italy. What is the reason she's not allowed - is it because she's too young or going with her boyfriend? I think travel is the best thing teenagers can do.

Wellywife Sun 11-Sep-16 21:10:00

DS went to Poland for a week with friends after his GCSEs. There were 5 of them all 16. They planned everything themselves and were fine. I'd let them go but make sure they write down all details and get proper insurance.

Threpennybit Sun 11-Sep-16 21:19:33

Its the age bit mainly. Neither has travelled away from parents before even in the uk (other than going to friends' houses) so it feels like a big first step. I guess it also seems a bit young to be going away for a weekend as a couple. They are nice young people and sensible in a practical way but not very streetwise. They would be unable to communicate in the local language.

yeOldeTrout Sun 11-Sep-16 21:28:18

I'd be more worried about pregnancy with so much time... if all they are going to do is shagfest, may as well do that in UK (cheaper, fewer things to go wrong).

DS went to Berlin for 5 nights with a 17yo friend (not partner, but no adults). They had some contacts who may have spoken German). I tore my hair about it at the time, but all went well. Had to carefully check travel and lodging arrangements, some countries aren't so easy, but Germany-Netherlands are good for independent 16-17yos.

AgentProvocateur Sun 11-Sep-16 21:52:25

If they've got a while till they go, maybe they could go somewhere in the UK first to practice independence - youth hosteling or camping maybe (I know that makes me sound like an old fart). DS had been away camping with his friends before he went to Italy, so he was quite resourceful. Your DN sounds less so, but she has to start somewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now