Talk

Advanced search

14 going on 24

(4 Posts)
Kentucky4567 Tue 30-Aug-16 16:57:17

My dd is 14 (15 in a couple of months) she is a lovely girl. But, her makeup and the way she dresses makes her look so much older than she is. Tbf her makeup skills are superb and it always looks fantastic - if she was 18 then this would be great.
I worry about the image she is portraying. I try to explain my feelings but she just won't get it.
All her friendship group are the same. But I know not all girls are like this and I want my dd to be her age for as long as she can.
I also feel it reflects badly on me and my parenting skills. Should I have been stricter? Can I be stricter now or is it too late?

Donthateprocreate Tue 30-Aug-16 18:01:42

No. Never get stricter about people's looks. No way.

It's the thing now, most teenage girls are doing their make up and looking 10 years older. It doesn't portray a bad image at all and it doesn't make you look like a bad parent.

But even so, what's better you're daughter being happy with how she looks and comfortable or you looking like a good parent?

User545454 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:15:27

I wouldn't say anything my DDs the same. If anything I'm jealous they have skipped the white eye liner, blue eyeshadow and having to straighten your hair with the iron phase.

DiegeticMuch Thu 01-Sep-16 12:39:05

When my friends and I were 15 we looked about 23. Shoulder pads and big hair were fashionable, and we'd wear stripes of blusher and three layers of Heather Shimmer lipstick (blotting it carefully between each application, per Jackie magazine's advice lol).

The fashions change but not much else does.

As long as she knows how to get rid of letchy men she'll be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now